1st two up tour of EU

A wee add, and also a bit of reinforcement!

The Cochem area is just lovely - was there a couple of months ago, so great biking, and lovely scsnery - it's well recommended on here, and about 250 miles from Amsterdam (we did it in a few hours without using motorways on out trip: https://www.ukgser.com/community/threads/loooong-euro-trip-dribblers-on-tour.353684/page-3

I didn't see the HARZ area mentioned, it's beautiful scenery and fab biking - it's an easy ride from Amsterdam (a decent day in the saddle will get you there without much motorway use). See: https://fliesonthevisor.com/harz-forest-free-motorcycle-touring-routes/

But Czech republic is gorgeous, and will save you money as it's a good bit cheaper than Germany or France for your fuel, food, accommodation and drink. You could go via Harz to Karlovy Vary (we did). The route from Karlovy Vary on minor roads to Cesky Krumlov

When I was planning our trip, I got some of the ideas from Saffy https://saffysprocket.com/best-motorcycle-roads-in-czech-republic/

Minor roads (only about 100 miles) from Karlovy Vary to Cesky Krumlov

Last edited:
OP, to possibly give you a bit of enthusiasm for Provence, I cobbled this together in two minutes, using nothing more than my ipad.

IMG_4280.jpeg

Would it work? Probably yes.

Is it perfect? No. Why? It’s a decent distance at 1,800 miles. I think you have a fortnight, less (I assume) two days to get to Amsterdam and back home again. That is 12 days. Whilst 1,800 divided by 12 is a comfortable daily average mileage of 150 miles, you want at least two days off, which boosts it to 180 miles a day each and every riding day. That is still within your 200 miles a day request but it might not work for you or (more importantly) your pillion. We just don’t know.

But, don’t let that put you off, as (like most routes) it can be tweaked. As an extreme example, you could go Amsterdam to Provence by motorway in a day. Call it, two. The same coming back, call it four. Add in your two days lost travelling from home to Amsterdam and back, is six days. That leaves eight days in sunny Provence; fantastic! Now tweak it from there. Add two days travelling down and back, leaves four days in Provence, still fantastic! Now tweak it again. I took it down to Cannes but you can dive off earlier and cut across westwards to Provence on some pretty good motorbiking (or driving) roads. This potentially gives an extra day spare. In other words, it can be done but we need some more help from you, please.

If nothing else, it hopefully shows how anyone (who knows themselves way better than we know them) can make a holiday, using some very simple free tools and a bit of imagination.

Over to you…..

:beerjug:

Last edited:
@Wapping, side note: that looks a very interesting app.

If you mean Kurviger, it is quite useful. If you buy the ‘Pro’ version, you can easily split routes, putting in chunks of motorway or using every goat track. You can see here, where I switched algorithms for sections of the route:

IMG_4281.jpeg

Here, I have changed it again, switching the algorithm to now allow motorways between Troyes and Reims:

IMG_4283.png

Is it perfect? No, as it relies on algorithms, tuned to what the app’s makers think that people want. It can sometimes put in some really silly (and quite awful) deviations between A and B. But, as a quick guide to what might be possible, it’s pretty good.

I create some routes in it as it is fast and easy to use on an iPad. I then paste them across into MyRoute ‘Pro’ so I can impose the routes onto a Michelin map, again all on my iPad. This saves me getting my Michelin maps out, each and every time. I also use the ViaMichelin app, which is more basic but it’s free and can make some good suggestions, along with providing all sorts of other data. To back it all up, I use Google for ideas on places to stay, along with what to see and do, often requiring nothing more that a three or four word long search request.

Yup, it requires a bit of effort but it gets easier the more often you do it. Give it a go, you can’t break it. Build your holiday…..

Last edited:
Here you go, OP.

In five minutes, I have knocked 250 miles (ie over one full day) off the roughed out route, reducing it from 1,800 to 1,550 miles. I have just gained you a day’s break somewhere or an additional day in Provence.

Tap on the graphic, it should open.

In Provence, I centred it on Sault, deliberately. Why?

a. It’s a nice, reasonably large town, having at least one of everything.

b. It’s on a ‘six-way’ road junction, which gives lots of variations when it comes to riding out on your days off.

c. It’s slap bang in the middle of one of the nicest parts of Provence.

d. I like the place.

IMG_4284.jpeg

Last edited:
To add to the Provencal theme. By coincidence, Simon Weir today, has a suggested 160 mile day-out route in Provence, based on the popular town of Castellane.

Find it on his website / Facebook page and download it for a quid. Instant jaunts, what’s not to like?

My wife is up for doing a EU tour next year, I have two questions:

- I would like to stay away from the school holidays and the hotter periods in the mainland. What would suggest early Jun or early Sep?

- I'm thinking max 600 mile radius from Amsterdam and my wife would like at least one 3 nighter stop, where would you recommend as a base?
We did this route in June this year. Went down to Folkstone to meet others, came back Rotterdam - Hull. Weather was great only one afternoon of rain. We did two nights in Hamburg, Berlin & Weert (days off the bike) and others we arrived early afternoons giving us time to have a look around. All hotels/ B&B's. Daily distance was anything from 150 miles to 260 miles, mixture of motorways and A roads. Motorways to cover distance.

Attachments

• Germany 2023.jpg
    Germany 2023.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 11
In Provence, I centred it on Sault, deliberately. Why?

a. It’s a nice, reasonably large town, having at least one of everything.

b. It’s on a ‘six-way’ road junction, which gives lots of variations when it comes to riding out on your days off.

c. It’s slap bang in the middle of one of the nicest parts of Provence.

d. I like the place.

View attachment 277508
I do too, as does my wife. Great location.

Back
Top Bottom