2.1A USB enough to charge iPhone?

The Other PaulG

Still searching
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I want to fit a USB port, just to keep an old iPhone that I use for navigation charged up.

I have seen quite a few for sale which deliver varying Amperages.

I know that not all plug in wall chargers do a great job of charging iPhones, suggesting that they might need a certain amount of power. My question is, is a 2.1 amp USB plug sufficient to keep an iPhone 6 topped up?

Cheers,

Paul.

Yep. Wont charge fast but should be plenty to keep it charged. Saying that an iPhone 6 doesn’t support fast charging to 2.1A will be fine

Will work fine as long it's not wireless charging, which it won't be on an iPhone 6.

I've taken a similar approach using an old iPhone 6.

I bought this piece of kit and it works really well. It's waterproof and has a switch to turn off charging if you leave the phone on the bike.

It's actually an Ultimateaddons charger.

I got one of their cases so have waterproof navigation.

I want to fit a USB port, just to keep an old iPhone that I use for navigation charged up.

I have seen quite a few for sale which deliver varying Amperages.

I know that not all plug in wall chargers do a great job of charging iPhones, suggesting that they might need a certain amount of power. My question is, is a 2.1 amp USB plug sufficient to keep an iPhone 6 topped up?

Cheers,

Paul.
I run Pocket Earth on an iPhone 6S Plus. Any Lightning cable plugged into a USB A charger that in turn fits the bike’s oem 12v socket will do. Just remember to disconnect the charger overnight to avoid the 12v to 5v conversion running down the battery. From experience the Ultimateaddons Lightning is a weak point as the central positive terminal oxidises easily in the presence of atmospheric moisture

I don‘t get anal about waterproofing or camera killing vibrations as these phones are dirt cheap to replace. They don’t even need a sim card for the GPS to work and if you do need an internet connection they can be hotspotted to the good phone in your pocket!

Attachments

• 1859814A-AAD7-4B0F-A6CC-E8A5B0A290F1.jpeg
    1859814A-AAD7-4B0F-A6CC-E8A5B0A290F1.jpeg
    212.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 90DE26D6-D46A-449C-A02D-9F69C8AD0FC8.jpeg
    90DE26D6-D46A-449C-A02D-9F69C8AD0FC8.jpeg
    223.8 KB · Views: 13
Thanks, I see there are a few different ways I can crack this. It's useful to know that the 12v to 5v converter itself draws current.

I hard wired an Oxford double usb to my 90s for the same I6 and nav. The second outlet is handy for a spare

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are worried about parasitic drain, wire the USB socket via a simple Thunderbox connection.

Thunderbox
Yep, I am doing this in conjunction with a distribution box... adding a USB will mean just too many wired accessories coming directly from the battery terminals, it's time for some tidying up.

Also, depends on what you're using for Sat Nav, the reports of the new Myroute App navigation app are that it does not draw significantly on the battery, at least on the iphone tested

Also, depends on what you're using for Sat Nav, the reports of the new Myroute App navigation app are that it does not draw significantly on the battery, at least on the iphone tested
That's interesting. I use maps.me, downloading base maps at home whilst I have wireless connection then using the phone sim-free.

I do similar with Navmii

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom