89 R80 starter motor issue?

Gyp

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Much to my embarrassment my trusty R80 declined to start this week and needed a push.

Battery was fully charged and seemed fine and, after starting, the voltage was good so not blaming the charging system. I've swapped the battery for a known good one (new Motobatt from the R65) and the results are the same.

Solenoid gives a healthy clunk, but the motor doesn't turn. Voltage drops low so current definitely being drawn somewhere.

Any idea if this is this likely to be a brush kit (inexpensive), or whether I'll need a new starter complete (not so inexpensive)? Or possibly something completely different?

OK, who's bright idea was this?

WBXRnhO.jpg

a 13mm 1/4 inch drive with an extension (and a pull bar rather than a ratchet) through the hole usually works or a long extension with socket under the starter body and use a flat screwdriver to jam the nut

One has disconnected the "!electron storage device!" hasn;t one??

Reactions: Gyp
a 13mm 1/4 inch drive with an extension (and a pull bar rather than a ratchet) through the hole usually works or a long extension with socket under the starter body and use a flat screwdriver to jam the nut

My neighbour with 7 non-working bikes in his garage had an appropriate tool :)

One has disconnected the "!electron storage device!" hasn;t one??
Yesterday

Done!

m50o3gq.jpg

Neighbour lent me a swivel head 1/4"

zKauUrq.jpg

Which worked nicely with my 13mm 1/4" socket

Y0uaEAj.jpg

Now the decision over to strip/repair or replace - and if so what to replace with

The original valeo starter was made in France,and has metal planetary gears.
The later ones are made in Poland and have plastic gears which can and do strip.
Either repair the one you have or buy the denzo one would be my advice

dismantling the starter is an easy job. You can then find out what is wrong. It is caveman technology in there. At the moment I'm hearing stripped gears (never had that happen to me) and jammed up magnets (happened to me and is exactly same symptoms as you post).

I see you are from Gloucestershire - my magnets gave in on a campsite in Westbury on Severn, coincidentally. So there's some weird shit happening in the Forest of Dean, where the lay-lines of magnetic fuckery cause GS starters to let go.....

I see you are from Gloucestershire - my magnets gave in on a campsite in Westbury on Severn, coincidentally. So there's some weird shit happening in the Forest of Dean, where the lay-lines of magnetic fuckery cause GS starters to let go.....
That would not surprise me in the slightest!

Stupid question time...

Does the circlip (scratched) have to come off of the shaft before the plate with the springs/brushes can be removed?

The plastic plate is not keen to be removed and the circlip is also unwilling as there's not room for it to go (though I have tried!)

CtSbA8l.jpg

Stupid question time...

Does the circlip (scratched) have to come off of the shaft before the plate with the springs/brushes can be removed?
Yes (although you probably have done it by now). Usually there's enough end float on the shaft to get access to the circlip.

Brush assembly fell apart in the end, but makes little difference as the armature is seized solid so I guess it's time for a new one

Back
Top Bottom