A9 - Average Speed Cameras

Davel

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
According to The Courier -

Average speed cameras on one of Scotland's most notorious roads will be switched on today as part of a plan to improve safety and save lives.

Construction work on the new system for the A9 between Perth and Inverness began in May and it is now set to become operational.

In addition, a higher speed limit for HGVs on the route will also come into force today, with a view to reducing driver frustration caused by slow vehicles on the busy road.

The increase from 40mph to 50mph is being trialled under a pilot project.

It is hoped both measures will help reduce the accident rate on the A9, which is the main road between central Scotland and the Highlands.

It is commonly regarded as one of the country's most dangerous roads, with fatal and serious road accidents on the single carriageway between Perth and Inverness significantly higher than the national average.

Work on the new camera system saw columns, cameras and infra-red lighting masts erected on the single carriageway sections.

Hi Davel, Thanks for the heads-up. Let's hope the average speed cameras are forward facing! RobA.

Hi Davel, Thanks for the heads-up. Let's hope the average speed cameras are forward facing! RobA.

Looks like there is a mixture of both. Not on the same pole but some poles are forward facing. Between Dunblane and Perth it is all dual carriageway and you will be able to squeeze just a little over 70 which is fair enough and there are alternative routes that are less boring and camera free. North of Perth expect severe limits once they start on the roadworks to convert to dual carriageway. 40mph or less all covered by average speed cameras. Little by way of reasonable alternative routes unless you want to go a long way off your route. Best avoided for the next 10 years.

I had to use the A9 from Stirling to Perth early on Monday morning after finding out the hard way that the M90 slip road off the M9 was closed :mad:

The super fast white vans had certainly slowed down to sub-70mph and I found I was cruising past all the - pretty light - traffic all the way to Perth. Previously I would cruise at 73/74 on the Zumo, but a took it down a notch till I get used to things.

Do these average speed things work in the dark?

ps - I was in 4 wheels not 2 and it was fast wipers and tons of surface water all the way to Dundee. Not nice.

According to The Courier -

Average speed cameras on one of Scotland's most notorious roads will be switched on today as part of a plan to improve safety and save lives.

Construction work on the new system for the A9 between Perth and Inverness began in May and it is now set to become operational.

In addition, a higher speed limit for HGVs on the route will also come into force today, with a view to reducing driver frustration caused by slow vehicles on the busy road.

The increase from 40mph to 50mph is being trialled under a pilot project.

It is hoped both measures will help reduce the accident rate on the A9, which is the main road between central Scotland and the Highlands.

It is commonly regarded as one of the country's most dangerous roads, with fatal and serious road accidents on the single carriageway between Perth and Inverness significantly higher than the national average.

Work on the new camera system saw columns, cameras and infra-red lighting masts erected on the single carriageway sections.

I've just had to do the A9 from Dunblane to Inverness and back. It was never the best of roads but now with all the cameras it is the most monotonous stretch of Tarmac I have encountered. I would go so far as saying it is now more dangerous as the boredom breeds tiredness. It was so bad the driving was split four times for a journey I have done hundreds of times and at times never needed to stop let alone change drivers.

I noticed that the camera pairs are mixed with one capturing the front of the vehicle and its partner capturing the rear. Not all pairs are like this.

Decision made. I'm heading down to Fife tomorrow, usually take the A9 getting breakfast at Ballinluig. A82 it is then.

If you go Crieff-Perth, look out for a place on your left called Gloagburn Farm Shop at Tibbermore before Perth...only a couple of miles off the main road and does a mean brekky...

If you go Crieff-Perth, look out for a place on your left called Gloagburn Farm Shop at Tibbermore before Perth...only a couple of miles off the main road and does a mean brekky...

Didnt know that, thanks G

Just remember, its on the back road from Crieff to Perth, not the A85!

Not all the waitresses have pert buttocks............

Back
Top Bottom