Are all GS as hard to service as a G650GS?

little_p

Reaction score
So I have got my first GS. The entry level, a simple single cylinder thumper; a G650GS. It was love at first sit. With thoughts that as my confidence developed work my way up through the GS range and who knows, one day I would to go on a long, long GS trip.

So I decided to give my new baby a quick service. But to change the oil, I have to take off one of the side panels, the sump guard and a further guard to change the filter. Maybe even the oil tank itself.
To change the spark plugs we are talking open heart surgery. Side panels off, battery out, tank off? Even then it is fiddling about undoing capping and using a special spark plug tool.

This experience so far has put me right off GS's. Anyone else care to comment on whether the bigger GS are as equally as difficult to work on?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

To change oil on those I just remove filler cap and suck out all I can - remove drainplug - do filterout and clean all that oil up too.
Sparkplugs - Its hardwork

Not sure about the G650 but the F650/700/800 twins the spark plug change is every 24k miles. Unlike my two strokes which were every 100 miles !

It’s always going to be a faff 1st time ,once you’ve taken it apart a few times it gets easier.
The big boxers are a lot easier,again once you’ve got to know your way around them.
Some of the 4 cylinder bikes are even more fun,requiring the radiator to come out to get to the plugs.
All good fun:comfort

It’s always going to be a faff 1st time ,once you’ve taken it apart a few times it gets easier.
The big boxers are a lot easier,again once you’ve got to know your way around them.
Some of the 4 cylinder bikes are even more fun,requiring the radiator to come out to get to the plugs.

Yip my 2006 R1 was like that. Opportunity to change the coolant :)

It is a faffy bike to work on. But it's not difficult once you know how.

You don't have to service them often.

So I have got my first GS. The entry level, a simple single cylinder thumper; a G650GS. It was love at first sit. With thoughts that as my confidence developed work my way up through the GS range and who knows, one day I would to go on a long, long GS trip.

So I decided to give my new baby a quick service. But to change the oil, I have to take off one of the side panels, the sump guard and a further guard to change the filter. Maybe even the oil tank itself.
To change the spark plugs we are talking open heart surgery. Side panels off, battery out, tank off? Even then it is fiddling about undoing capping and using a special spark plug tool.

This experience so far has put me right off GS's. Anyone else care to comment on whether the bigger GS are as equally as difficult to work on?

Does the bashplate not have a hole in it to access the sump plug? If not, drill one with a hole saw. The oil tank I use a piece of tubing to attach to the drain nipple and a bottle on the ground. Is the oil filter the same as the X Country, three allen screws R/H side? Do it on the side stand to avoid the captive oil running out!

As said above .... you soon get used to it :thumby:

Welcome to all things UKGSer :thumby:

...... and you can go round the world on the 650GS, you don't have to have a big 'bike :D

:beerjug:

Thanks all for the replies, that has partly restored my faith in BMW's.

My G650GS is on 21k miles and whilst the last owner(s) have said that they serviced it, the last CONFIRMED service history was from 2018 / 10k miles. So I definitely wanted to at least change the oil and filters for at least my own peace of mind.

The spark plugs were changed at 10k MILES. And the service interval is 20k KILOMETERS. So definitely need changing.

I kinda get the responses that you change the oil if you buy an oil sucker thingy, it is easier to service when you have done it a few times / not difficult when you know how, why not drill a hole in the sump guard etc but feel that a manufacturer should be making it as easy as possible to maintain their machines? Anyway.
I'm guessing that the BMW Engineer though process is to primarily focus on making a bike that doesn't break down, doesn't need repairing, that has long service intervals and everything else comes after that etc

One other question, removing the spark plug cap / holder looks like it needs a special tool. Is this the "coil puller" tool ?
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223647506662

I'm guessing that the BMW Engineer though process is to primarily focus on making a bike that doesn't break down, doesn't need repairing, that has long service intervals and everything else comes after that etc

[/url]

Back in 1936 maybe, the punishment was sever :green gri

It's all actually to do with using an engine from one motorcycle design (or car) in another. Things get in the way :thumb

:beerjug:

How good are you at head bearings on an 1150? :nenau
Quick job? Ride in ride out possible?

Back
Top Bottom