Balancing TBs on R1150gs

Welly

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm in process of servicing my 2002 60,000 mile 1150gs and next up is balancing the throttle bodies.

I've done the valves, oil and filter and new air filter already.

I've read all the posts I can find on here re TB balancing as well as some on the US site.

After a decent run the other day (engine warmed to 5 bars on RID) I hooked up my carbtune and checked idle and 3000 rpm for balance. There is a difference of about 2 units (24 v 22) not a huge amount but could be improved I'm sure.

I checked the BBS and left one is wound out from closed about 1/2 turn while the right one is wound out 1 turn.
The left side cable adjuster is showing 1 thread above the locknut while right side is showing 5

Do I just ignore the current values and differences between each side re cable adjusters and BBS and get on with doing the balancing?
I guess I'm surprised the differences are so marked but the bike does idle and pull well currently, so it is what it is? I had expected the BBS to be further out on each side and more or less equal and also same with the cable adjusters, but my thinking may be way off here.

Could the BBS need removing and given a good clean before I start any work?

Thanks for reading

wot i does . set base t/over at 800/850 (BBS cleaned ( and its' hole ) and zeroed) , adjust cable pull ( twistgrip lift) , then i open BBS to get t/over where i want it.

i check the tps , too , but i have a diag kit for that. some people measure the voltage.

Last edited:
The left side cable adjuster is showing 1 thread above the locknut while right side is showing 5
Forget counting threads , you need the same amount of free play at the outer cable and the cable holder , a couple of mm free play on each is about right, adjust the balance on idle then balance the throttles off idle,

And it might be worth connecting your balancer to a T-piece coming from ONE of the throttle bodies first, this will show you if the balancer gauge is even before you start.
Get both sides as exact as possible, helps to reduce vibration :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom