Battery advice pls, AGM or wet?

Zorro

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
A numpty battery question pls. What determines whether a bike can take an AGM battery or only a wet technology one? The 1973 CL175 needs a new battery. It has an AGM YB9-B. I am told I should replace it with a wet lead battery one. Any reason why this might be the case? Thank you.

A numpty battery question pls. What determines whether a bike can take an AGM battery or only a wet technology one? The 1973 CL175 needs a new battery. It has an AGM YB9-B. I am told I should replace it with a wet lead battery one. Any reason why this might be the case? Thank you.

the chemistry is exactly the same - lead acid.

In AGM the wet bit is held in an absorbent fibreglass mat.

AGM batteries are maintenance free and do not need to be upright, hence you will see them on their side in some bikes like the Super Tenere. Safe in jetskis etc.

This design makes them inherently safer as they can be filled and sealed in a factory. They can be sent by courier as there is no acid to ship.

There is no reason why the AGM battery is not suitable for your bike if your voltage regulator is working properly. If the reg is faulty it could damage any type of battery. Just be aware the AGM will need a specific charger to wake them up if fully discharged. Most chargers sold in the last 20 years are fine.

I am told I should replace it with a wet lead battery one.

Wessie explained it all.

I'd only add that one hypothetical: since it is a very old vehicle 1973, AGM or in general VRLA batteries might have some (minor I'd guess) issues charging with that setup?
If you were already using sealed batteries in that vehicle, probably not.

Back
Top Bottom