Driveshaft life and refurb?

ThreeDawg

Reaction score
97 1100GS, 80K miles. Been feeling like I've got a little wear in a UJ, (very) slightly graunchy anyway somewhere between the engine and the back wheel. FD rebuilt recently so probably not that.

Anyway, I've got a biggish trip coming up (Santiago, Chile to San Diego, CA) beginning November and I'm wondering about the normal lifespan of a driveshaft. Second hand might be risky, presume new NLA. Gonna take the shaft out to check it, but can they be refurbished if needed or should I be looking now for a decent s/h one just in case?

It feels OK when I rotate the wheel by hand, but yeah, Mike did say he detected a little wear in the short part of the shaft when he rebuilt my FD a little while ago. Have bought one with less than 50% of the miles for not a lot of money so that's one less thing to worry about hopefully.

Got the FD off, definitely notchiness in the UJ at that end of the shaft. Quite loose on the splines of the FD input shaft too - will be interesting to see how the replacement one feels.

Back
Top Bottom