Engine dies!

stratblue

genoQian
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My very own recording studio! (South Wales).
Hi.

I've had this problem for a while on my 2011 Hexhead. The typical scenario will be approaching a junction, minor road into major and yet to make the decision to go or wait, I'm in 2nd or 3rd, not sure, pull the clutch in to drop a gear and the bike just dies, the revs drop like a rock. Usually I catch it and sometimes it's just the vaguest of sensations but I can often feel the tendency. Yesterday it left me coasting, luckily downhill so it wasn't a problem but I can see how in some situations it could be deadly. I have no idea how to even start to diagnose this problem so any ideas chaps, I'm all ears. New battery last month, bike starts great, and new coils and TPS a few years back. Serviced according to the schedule.

TPS unit worn = located on lh throttle body

do a search on ebay, usually an unbranded hella unit- about £45

Hey Santa. Thanks for the reply. I replaced the TPS a few years back, mentioned it in the post, the problem was there before and it's still there now. How long do they last?
Are you up North or London ish?

There is Mikeyboy or JB up North or Steptoe down South in London

What you are experience could literally kill you if it happens in the wrong situation…

It’s definitely worthwhile getting some advice from guys who have been working with these bikes for nearly 20 years.

A lot of other things, yeah sure let’s try to fix ourselves, but something like this it wouldn’t hurt to get some expert help

Just my 2 cents

Scan it to check for fault codes - depending on what code does not always light the yellow triangle.

Exact same problem. Also rough idling. Make sure the primary coils are fully seated on the plugs. There should be no discernible movement if they’re seated properly. Tap the coils in gently with a soft mallet. It’s hard to get them seated just by hand.

Good advice.

I’ve had the same twin cam for 12 years now. the problem has been there all it’s days, but tried everything to no avail…. Although sometimes it’s almost cured.
remap helped. Throttle bodies balanced helped. Borrowed coil sticks off a brand new bike made no difference.
Replaced TPS which seemed to help but not 100%, still had a rare stall.

Bike went for MOT today (only 300 miles in a year) and stalled twice on the way home. Worst it’s been in years.
last month I serviced it, new air filter and plugs. Spungy may have a point about seating the coils again properly. I’m gonna have a little check tomorrow to ensure they are connected properly

Put the new TPS on the other day and checked the coils were on properly (found one that clicked in very slightly so worth checking) took it out for a run and seems like it's sorted. Going to take it for a long run soon but fingers crossed.

Good advice.

I’ve had the same twin cam for 12 years now. the problem has been there all it’s days, but tried everything to no avail…. Although sometimes it’s almost cured.
remap helped. Throttle bodies balanced helped. Borrowed coil sticks off a brand new bike made no difference.
Replaced TPS which seemed to help but not 100%, still had a rare stall.

Bike went for MOT today (only 300 miles in a year) and stalled twice on the way home. Worst it’s been in years.
last month I serviced it, new air filter and plugs. Spungy may have a point about seating the coils again properly. I’m gonna have a little check tomorrow to ensure they are connected properly
Took a while to get motivated in my cold garage. But as Spungy suggested, I removed the coils and 4th one wasn’t seated properly.

A squirt of silicone spray ensured it slipped in nicely. New plugs working great. No stalling today.

you need to know basic service stuff is OK, clear, clean, unrestricted air filter, clean throttle bodies, valve clearances, may as well check engine compression...

once you know the vehicle has a chance - I'd calibrate idle stepper motors? and if still problematic start looking at fuel pressure to ensure this is in spec

Back
Top Bottom