Final drive advice...

Vulpine2

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So, I'm back in N Z playing with my 89 r100gs. Bike is now in large lumps for refurb/refresh/recoat. Driveshaft has very slight play in UJs and rear pivot bearings show slight brinelling. Ideally both could do with replacing but could also clean/ grease and use as is until next year's trip when I could bring out a good shaft from the spares stash and a MW bearing kit. That would mean I stand a chance of using the bike this trip. However... need some advice on the action of the bevel box. When turning it over by hand it feels very smooth, but also as if it is running in grease. Should it not run more freely? Had to drain oil cold, left overnight so think its all out. (there was a reaspoon of oil in the swinging arm). Thoughts please?

Nobody? Somebody must have twiddled a paralever bevel drive by hand and be able to advise? And should i be worried about the small amount of oil in the driveshaft - literally a teaspoon (ok, maybe a dessert spoon)? If I was in the UK I could sort it or, more likely, find somebody to help me sort it but its a bit trickier in rural NZ (25 million sheep, 5 million people & very, very few airhead mechanics...)

Oil in driveshaft - you mean oil in the swingarm? It has come from somewhere. The output shaft seal on the gearbox is the most likely place. From the bevel is next. Check orientation of the output shaft seal. But I wouldn’t worry if I found it in mine.

Bevel motion drag - I wouldn’t worry. If it ain’t leaking and you have fresh oil, just use it.

Driveshaft UJ play is your biggest issue. If it were me I would dig deep for a replacement. The pivot bearings are relatively cheap.

Thanks chaps, reassuring re the bevel drag which is absolutely as smooth as butter. Will see what I can do 'locally' re seals but may get replacements sent over, especially if i end up asking my better half to ship the spare shaft.

Back
Top Bottom