First Long Trip on the GS - the Verdict.

Regarding the wheel, rode my Gs for the first time in over a month, and I actually knock it across sometimes pulling in the Clutch, as I have to hold the grip right next to the wheel to put my fingers around the narrow part of the clutch Lever, I have small hands.

I've ordered a heated grip for bikes without the controller and will fit that in place of the grip + controller assembly, so should not be having this problem in future. If I find I really miss the ability to interact with the satnav via a physical controller I will explore other options. There are three that I have identified.

The first is to buy a used controller wheel from a breaker and modify it to mount elsewhere. I would keep the one I take off intact and attached to its grip so that I can easily put the bike back to standard if I need to when I sell it. The connector on the wheel, which goes into a slot inside the left hand switchgear unit, could in theory be put onto an extended cable to allow the relocated wheel to be connected as normal. The problem with this is that the wheel is a bulky and ugly thing once it is off the bar end, and might be difficult to conveniently mount elsewhere.

The second option is to work out how the wheel works and if it is reasonably simple, for example just microswitches triggered by the various movements, use a much smaller miniature 2-axis joystick instead, and wire that into the connector normally used by the wheel. This might be possible as although it rotates I think the wheel may just look like two pairs of switches to the system - one pair up and down and the other pair left and right.

The third possibility would be to use the alternative BMW satnav mount which comes with a row of buttons on the left for use on bikes which don't have the option of a wheel. I would quite like this as it seems a good compromise, apart from one issue, which is that this mount does not come with an integrated lock so far as I can determine.

I could use the Touratech locking mount with it, but it looks like that would prevent me fitting the Wunderlich sunshade which I have on the satnav and which is quite effective, so I don't think I would want to go for that, and anyway it is quite expensive, and IMO pretty ugly.

Have to agree about the effect on throttle control with the old system ...I had K1200R with the old BMW indicator switches and it was lethal in traffic if I needed to operate the indicators since on that bike a slight tweek of the the throttle sent you flying toward the cars in front. I don't think the old style GS bikes had the same problem though since the K1200R was a rocket ship.
I didn't know about the Sat Nav wheel problem when reaching for the indicator switch since I use a Garmin 660 unit which doesn't respond to the wheel anyway so I'm a happy bunny with the latest indicator switch.

I had a K1200R which I loved. I don't think I ever had a problem with throttle when using the indicators but I do remember having to flex somewhat so as to ensure it didn't happen.
I still prefer the old system as I'm never 100% positive I've activated the new switch when I'm wearing gloves as the feedback from it can be non existent.

Excellent write up. Joy to read.
Looks like you travelled light too.
Just 3 boxes and a modest tank bag - Ace

Thanks LL - glad you enjoyed it.

We were a bit concerned about luggage but wanted to avoid additional bags strapped onto the top box which we have used in the past. My wife, bless her, managed to get all the clothes she needed for a three week trip in one of the pannier bags, weighing in at about 5.5 kg, and I got all my clothes, plus my small laptop, in the other weighing about 7 kg.

That left the top box on its fully extended 58 L position for everything else. So one pair of shoes each for evenings, first aid kit, puncture repair kit and compressor, warning triangle (which actually got used) disk lock, waterproofs and electrical stuff like chargers, spare camera battery, etc, plus a couple of those fold away to nothing small rucksacks for shopping and taking stuff to the beach in Sitges. I managed to store a second disk lock with 1 m chain wrapped around the grab rails and tucked in behind the passenger seat. I then used the tank bag for documents and valuables like phones and camera. I kept a small credit card holder in the front pocket of the tank bag and this was useful paying tolls and keeping toll tickets safe.

This all worked out really well, so we now feel confident that we could manage with this amount of luggage on any trip, and possibly even pare things down a little as there was some stuff we didn't really need. Whether I can persuade my wife to go on another such trip is another matter, as she is not the most committed of bikers!

Nice write up Fred. I'd agree with your niggles about the indicators and heated grip switch. Though you do tend to get used to them to some extent it's a shame that BMW didn't do a better job in the first place and it's a similar picture with the speedo too IMO. Thanks for the recommendation for the tour organisers too, all in all an interesting read :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom