GPX - North UK Tour

grantmac

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
a group of 4 of us from NL have just finished our annual tour of UK and decided for this year o rteturn to the north taking in a number of the national parks. I havre added the routes along with our accomodatio tips where we stayed.

Day 1 - Hull to Linton, Yorkshire dales 250km
From the Ferry at Hull up through the Yorkshire moors and then westwards to our first stop at the Fountaine Inn, Linton.

Day 2 - Linton to Tirril, Nr Penrith. 250km
From Linton up into the Dales and across into Cumbria. Overnight stay at The Queens Head in Tirril. They have jet refurbished all the rooms and they are small but comfortable.

Day 3 - Tirril to Innerleithen, Borders. 251km
From Tirril, heading north towards the borders, Hawick and Selkirk, A westward detour along the smaller roads to Talla Linfoots and some quiet but brilliant roads to enjoy. Overnight stay at the Traquair Arms Hotel in Innerleithen. Rooms are basic but nice and kitchen is fine.

Day 4 - Innerleithen to Seahouses. 254 km
A winding Eastwards route back across the borders. A worthy tea stop is the Hirsel Cottage Tea rooms which is close to Coldstream. Lovely quiet surroundings and a great mornig Team with scones and cakes. Then Eastwards towards the ocast and one of our favourite places to stay - Seahouses. Although not cheap we stayed at the Olde Ship Inn in the village. Parking is not easy but they let is park our 4 bikes in a staff / disabled parking bay for the night.

Day 5 - Seahouses to Cothestone. 230 km
Heading south down onto the Pennines and our final stop for the night in Cothestone. The Fox and Hounds has 3 rooms so it meant 2 sharing in a twin. Good value for money, homely little pub with good food and beer. We used to stay at the Rose and Crown in Romaldkirk but they have just gotten greedy and wanted over GBP 210 for a simple room with breakfast. Also last time they were there the food was not very good. Fox and Hound was a third of the price and the landlady Nicola really made us feel welcome!

Day 6 - Cothestone to Hull. 240km
Final leg and always the downer when you have to head back to the ferry and home. Anyway a good trip for those that are interested.

Last edited:
Thank you.

It is interesting to see what ‘foreigners’ do when they come over.

Well done on finding an alternative to the rip off merchants! It's not always possible, especially further north! In itself a good reason for sticking to the Borders and Galloway but quieter roads uninfested with grockles in campers is another one.

Ta for posting.

Sent from my fingers

Well done on finding an alternative to the rip off merchants! It's not always possible, especially further north! In itself a good reason for sticking to the Borders and Galloway but quieter roads uninfested with grockles in campers is another one.

Ta for posting.

Sent from my fingers
Yes, indeed. We always go for pubs with rooms, it’s part of the fun finding a quiet place to stay and enjoy some good pub fare… Overall we found prices to be quite high but to be expected I guess with inflation and cost of living… The place in Romaldkirk was just silly prices and shows simple greed but if they can take advantage and fill their rooms at that price good luck to them. Planning next years jaunt already😀(y)(y):giggle:

I see the place in Romaldkirk, prefers boarders who stay for two nights, which I guess is understandable. That being said, the price seems very high for what it is. I can only assume that the owners (and others of its ilk) are trying to recoup the lost Covid years in one year? If so, unless they up their game, it’s not going to work.

Last edited:
I've stayed at the Rose & Crown in Romaldkirk for many years previously. Prices for one of their ''stable'' rooms was always around 120 / 130 per night. The pub/hotel is part of a bigger spa resort and the owners seem to think the now high rates are OK. We stayed there just before Covid and paid 135 which was high but acceptable. Food was lousy though. They seem to have farmed this out to a lot of youngsters / students who really don't know what they are doing either in the bar or the restaurant. The food is always hit and miss and the only thing going for it is the nice rooms but to jump to 210 per night is just ludicrous but as said, if they can fill them with tourists at that price then they are welcome to.

The Fox and Hounds is obviously a lot less luxurious and maybe even a little tired but at 70 per night including breakfast AND much better food i can highly recommend it. Besides Nicola the landlady really takes care of you!

Anyway we always prefer this area for riding and whilst we try to find different places to stay the general area for riding especially off season is really beautiful. So next year will try something similar.
Have always wanted to take the group for a night on Lindesfarne but the ides always catch us out...

by the way apologies for the lousy typing in the OP. 'twas a bit late and I was tired.

£210 a night is bonkers. It’s a 60% increase over the past, justifiable (perhaps) if everything had improved significantly or if there was a whole ‘new look’. But it hasn’t. The other place, at one third of the cost, looks much better.

Back
Top Bottom