Hooters

R Savage

Looking to replace the 'legal' horn on my 1150 with a pair of (H & L note) electric snail-shape horns. Any tips on where to install them? Also does disconnecting the battery have any affect on the FI memory?

TIA Richard

-----
Richard S

The Horns should fit under the 'Beak' no problem.
Disconnecting the Battery has no effect on the 'Black Box'. The main chip is an 'EPROM' and will not loose it's memory if there is a loss of power.

Richard or Paul,
any hints tips, what and where to buy and how to fit would be greatly appreciated - standard horn had no effect on white van man on the motorway yesterday, so I want to do this as well.
Cheers
Nick

I have fitted twin trumpet air powered horns on previous bikes but noticed that other road users looked for a car, rather than bike, when I used them. For this reason (and lack of space) I've decided to fit a pair of electric (Lo+Hi note) horns. They draw a substantial current but the wiring is straighforward - fused feed from the battery and a relay piggy-backed onto the existing horn wiring solves that. You can buy them from Halfords or most car part places complete with short brackets and a relay. I think M+P and MPS stock them as well. All you need add is the wire, fuse and holder, crimp connectors and cable ties. The bracketry probably requires patience to achieve a neat job, you could anticipate fitting additional lights when making the bracket. The brackets in the kit won't be big enough for this purpose, so consider using aluminum strip from your local DIY shed. IIRC £20 should cover most of the costs. Regarding location; Paul suggests under the beak, this is where I had thought of fitting them but I have not investigated yet. If I get round to doing it I may post a photo if anyone can tell me where to post it. Rgds Richard

For info, see motobins catalogue :-
77234 FIAMM FANFARE HORN KIT (12v)* £ 17.00 (+Vat and P&P)
CONSISTS OF LOW & HIGH HORNS WITH RELAY AND WIRING DIAGRAM. SIMPLE INSTALLATION. IMPORTED FROM ITALY FOR THE VERY MAXIMUM IN DECIBELS. FOR THOSE OCCASIONS WHEN YOU CANNOT AFFORD NOT TO BE NOTICED.
I got these, includes metal strips to fit (mine by crashbars on R100GS) Just need an inline fuse holder I believe. Watch the wiring - mine are live even when no key in bike !! Must fix that !

Relay.
I'm no electricain, but I've fitted similar horns to my car and they needed a relay....
Nick

Expensive

When fitting any aftermarket horns or lights etc you must use a relay as it will certainly burn out the switch if no relay is used. As its a BMW its best for the pocket to pay for a relay and take the time to wire it tidily. Also always position the relay in the dry and if using snail type horns position so as water cannot be driven into the mouth. They do not last long if they fill up with water.

Lessons learnt over 14 years of being a mechanic on all sorts.

Back
Top Bottom