How to fit sensible amounts of clothing into system panniers

haydw

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Jut bought a couple of 'vacuum bags' like those that have been advertised on the telly- bought two of them for £9 in John Lewis's.

Managed to fit in to the left hand system pannier (and still room to spare...)

6 T shirts
3 Jumpers
Pair of Jeans
2 pairs of combat pants

Was getting worried about mine and Mrs Haydw's annual pilgrimage to the IOM- 25 litres and the awkward shape is definately smaller than a 40 litre throw-over pannier. If I had the adventure boxes or ali ones I dare say I could have fitted in even more.

Trying to find a vacuum cleaner to suck all the air out may be a pain if you are camping though......

Jumpers?? Is that what people wear in the north of England?

Being a cheapskate, I used freezer storage (ziplock-type) bags which are something like £1.29 for a pack of 10. Stick the clothes in the bag, then lie on it whilst you zip the nylon closure. Eventually the air comes back in, but as long as you're quick packing it's OK.

If you want to be really sad, you can pack a daily change of clothes in each bag--polo top, briefs, pants, sock (though for some on this site I think that's a weekly change).

I also use plastic zip-up pencil cases--the transparent type kids have to take into examinations to prevent cheat notes being smuggled in--to pack tools, AA batteries and the like. Asda do short cases for 40p and longer versions as well.

Tim

Being an even cheaper skate than Tim when it comes to packing panniers, I use ordinary bin liners! Waterproof, cheap, easy to replace, always big enough to mould into the wierd internal shape of a pannier. Been using that technique since way before trendy inner-bags turned up.

We do have a couple of those 'vacuum' bags (Eagle Creek, if memory serves me correctly - no vacuum cleaner needed, just roll them up to expell the air) and very good they are too. However, unlike the bin liner approach they don't mould to the pannier shape, so they tend to get used in addition to, not in the place of the trusty bin liner.

I use vac bags as well, the ones I have are made out of a ripstop sort of clear plastic and have valves at one end so you squidge them after sealing them, dunno where they came from though...

But what about footwear? We are off on another epic shortly and footwear seems to be the hardest part to hide, and I am not keen on the option of wearing Oxtar Enduro boots as evening wear. I used to have some really nice slipper like things (go with ther pipe and BM) from Merrell but the soles have split and they are no longer made.

Tim Cullis said:
Stick the clothes in the bag, then lie on it whilst you zip the nylon closure. E

Tim

Will not be much air left in them after Tim lies on them :eek:
Saves on the pressing though :D :D :D

I tend to ride in walking boots if 2 up and needing space.I can then wear them when not on the bike as well. Saves loads of space.Tale a pair of flip flops or sandal thingies for knocking about in if can't be arsed to wear the boots.Also take the light "walkers" type of t shirts which are quick drying and wash them as you go.They dry overnight and can be worn the next day.Then I use old skiddies and chuck them as the trip goes on and buy some nice new ones for when I get home. :thumb

I use this

Attachments

• JN.InvPoster.ShrinkRay (Medium).jpg
    JN.InvPoster.ShrinkRay (Medium).jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 319
shrinking ray :thumb
must've been used on my long term pillion - it was the only reason i married her y' know. ;)
small, neat and tidy on the back of the bike, doesn't upset the handling - uses less pannier space than ME! due of course to she taking smaller sizes. :rolleyes: (yeah, right).

funnily enough - i got a tidy (read as; small and easily stashed) pair of slipper/Chinese stylee "shoes" in 'Next' of all places - perfect for travelling - comfy as a slipper, but with a proper sole :thumb

now about these T shirts (i thought Walkers only made crisps? :confused: )
more info please - i like the sound of them.
:D
~~
Og

Although the vac bags are a great idea I do find the vacuum cleaner occupies too much room - any ideas?

Whele said:
Although the vac bags are a great idea I do find the vacuum cleaner occupies too much room - any ideas?

This is what GS's have snorkel intakes for....

Hmm, i know they're not waterproof but i use football boot bags, get plenty in, and fairly robust, with handles, hey, works for me

Back
Top Bottom