I need an old priest and a young priest

BaldBaBoon

Reaction score
Or anyone else who can perform exorcisms.

Only a little problem,but it has resulted in several impressive fist sized dents in my computer casing today already.

My mouse pointer,moves around fine and i can select icons and shortcuts by a single click or double if required.But every second on the dot,the little " waiting "
hourglass appears next to it for a split second then goes again.....and you can feel the computer sort of hesitating before opening something.

If i want to save a document or photo,i bring up...save as... and go to the selection box for where to save the file....then the bloody computer wont let me scroll down to the where i want it...but it clicks onto whatever it is hovering over when the pointer/hourglass clicks?

I dont know computers,and i have very little patience and a very strong punch...please help me techno Guru's.

Windows xp professional

Pentium 4 3 gig

Current avg antivirus and anti-spyware doobies

Last edited:
press control - alt - delete to open task manager. on the processes tab, look to see what's chiming in every second.

Turn OFF MSoffice indexing.
Turn OFF things that start automatically on start up (look in the start> all progs> start menu and see what there is)

Defrag your HD.

Run AVG.

Run Adaware.

If it's still doing it after all that, save everything, export settings, burn all your Pron to dvd and re-install windows :)

Seriously .

:thumb2

Turn OFF things that start automatically on start up (look in the start> all progs> start menu and see what there is)

:thumb2

if you want to turn all that start up stuff off, go to the

start menu>run>type "msconfig" in the box>ok>under startup tab uncheck anything that doesn't look essential. look in the Command column for a clue to whether process is some thing you might actually want or not. this is something i do on any pc even if it exhibits no problems.

see if that cures it.

download>update>run> spybot S & D

if you want to turn all that start up stuff off, go to the

start menu>run>type "msconfig" in the box>ok>under startup tab uncheck anything that doesn't look essential. look in the Command column for a clue to whether process is some thing you might actually want or not. this is something i do on any pc even if it exhibits no problems.

see if that cures it.
[/URL]

Good point actually......

When I mess around in there, I start by simply hitting the button that disables everything apart from MS stuff.....if things suddenly speed up, you can start on the rest by a process of elimination.

It would be sensible to disconnect from t'internet whilst doing this though :)

PS Quick question and I have a nasty feeling I might already know the answer to this one.......even though you've mentioned AVG........

Have you got, or have you ever had, NORTON on this machine?? :augie

Thanks for all the advice

I found the problem in the end,it was a 2GB USB memory stick that some nasty person was storing Pron on....once it was disconnected,the comp started working fine at next start-up.....weird.

Thanks for all the advice

I found the problem in the end,it was a 2GB USB memory stick that some nasty person was storing Pron on....once it was disconnected,the comp started working fine at next start-up.....weird.

It was indexing the stick- and at some point, presumably somebody had told the system not to show the dialogue concerning it so it was doing it in the background.

Same thing happens if you plug any external drive in :)

Back
Top Bottom