K1300GT in the deep south of Morocco

popi

Reaction score
Hi guys.
I expect to go to the deep south of Morocco (Zagora, Tagounite) in may and i have a strong doubt : according to high temperatures (up to 45°C) in this area have any of you ever ridden there with his K1300GT and how did it perform = engine temperature never exceeds / fan goes ON often and/or engine stops because of too high temperature security ?
I specify that the radiator is clean and the coolant replaced.
Thanks for your return of experience :cool:

Your coolant system is designed to work in these temperatures Popi. Coolant helps maintain the correct operating temperature (which is higher than the temperature you will experience) and yes your fan may come on to aid in maintaining that balance but that is normal and will mostly only be heard when you are static with the engine running.

Only if something fails will it overheat

Just make sure you keep the fins clear and the fan free to spin and all will be well.

Enjoy your trip

Thanks Bigcats for your answer.
I asked this question because this is my 6th K1300GT and even if heater is clean and the coolant new it happened several times that when going up a pass the temperature reached almost the maximum and even once the engine was stopped by the computer due to the maximum temperature reached while I was overtaking a car in the middle of a bend :yikes (ambient temperature 30°C in Swiss moutain).

The problem is that on K series (K12/K13/K16) heater is undersized according to heat requirements (165 hp) and fan heater runs to often because coolant pump does not rotate quickly enough to ensure a flow rate allowing good cooling in undersized radiator.
While climbing the passes I noticed that, to have good cooling, you had to be in 3rd gear at 4000 rpm. If more or less cooling is not sufficient.
In urban areas the fan starts all the time because the pump does not turn fast enough : slow rpm = slow coolant flow = slow cooling in undersized radiator.
Which worries me a little with temperatures that can exceed 40°C/45°C (a real oven) in may for long trips near the desert in deep south of Morroco.

so choices ,
change rad cap for 1 with more pressure = higher b/point
change thermo switch so fan it comes on earlier .
rev it higher in a lower gear , as you have done previously
modify where the air, that has been through the radiator goes ? for better flow out
add some " water wetter" https://www.redlineoil.com/waterwetter
remove / modify / change coolant thermostat so it opens earlier
bigger fan or add another if enough room
oil cooler , change thermostat so it opens earlier ? or remove ?
add another radiator ?
don't ride when it's really hot
get another bike ?
cycle.
walk .
don't go .

someone else will be along shortly, to say this is all bollocks.

The best solution for me is to go in deep south Morroco in march with nice temperatures :cool:

Back
Top Bottom