Left hand cluster switch

Morety

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Had an odd one today. Took the bike off charge for its first ride this month and thought I'd check electrics, tyre pressures and the usual. All fine. Next a short amble down the driveway to test brakes, a U turn and back to the garage. Hopped off bike and noticed immediately that the combination rocker switch for traction control and ESA had vanished! It had pinged out with no help from yours truly! I walked back down the drive looking for it, searched the garage all to no avail. Took a wander into Cotswold Motorrad who informed me that unfortunately there's no spares for individual switch rocker buttons and a whole switch cluster was all that they were able to offer (over £400). That was obs a non starter for a simple piece of plastic, so they found me a spare cluster which was earlier removed off another bike and gave me a replacement rocker button. Top guys! I still have no idea how this happened as I hadn't actually touched it, so be aware, if the same happens to you, you might be lucky and find it otherwise spares are hard to track down cheaply. One option that I later discovered is Ali-Express of all places sell them, and even the whole cluster section for under £30! whether it's any good or not is another matter but it looks identical.

there was a dodgy batch of LH clusters fitted to bikes in 2016 & 2017. Mine was replaced in 2018 at the end of warranty check. The switch you mention had become a bit knotchy. At that time Cotswold had a big box of spares ready to go on all bikes coming to the end of their warranty. Seems they kept the wonky ones for exactly the situation you describe.

One of the clues to BMW`s nose-dive in quality is the Fisher Price switchgear.

It’s unacceptable on bikes priced at this premium. Cheap and nasty designs. They should take a leaf from Triumph’s switchgear which is much better.

My LH switch is getting a bit "sticky" as was the RH switch a while ago. But mine's an old banger now.

I did remove the RH rocker assembly (needs a micro Torx and great care not to lose anything) and "filed" a few bits to let the rocker move better.

The LH rocker may get the same treatment soon.

Back
Top Bottom