Morocco for 3 weeks in April/May 2016 Route suggestions please

GADGET

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Have booked the Plymouth/Santander ferry today, out on 19th April, back on 18th May 2016.The only restriction is that I need to be in Essaouira between the 3 to 7th May, as the Mrs is flying out.
Any helpful suggestions as to any good routes, places to visit and accommodation en route will be much appreciated, not too much off road stuff though:) This is my first visit to Morocco and I don't know why i have left it so long. thanks john

I thought I had responded to this several days ago. Maybe I didn't press the 'post' button...

Good time of the year to visit, generally the mountains and semi arid regions are more interesting than the coastal plain. Ideally keep to smaller roads where possible, don't be too ambitious with distances, spend lots of time drinking coffee and people watching.

Tanger Med > Chefchaouen > Fez > Azrou > Midelt > Imilchil > Todra > Merzouga > N'kob> Ouarzazate > Taliouine > Tafrouate would get you well positioned for then heading north to meet the wife.

After Essaouira you could visit Marrakech then start heading north via Cascades d'Ouzoud > Meknes > Asilah. You could leave Chefchaouen or Azrou off the out-bound route and visit them on the way back north.

Thanks for that Tim, will obviously need to do some more research, my map should arrive in the post soon, so will look at your route and then some places to stay. While I have your attention I have a choice of bikes to take, my WR250R Would probably be ideal once there, but would not be something I would enjoy travelling across Spain on, an F650 Dakar, or VFR1200X which would work best on Tarmac. Which would you take?

Ah, I was missing the crossing of Spain. What with faffing about getting a ferry you need to allow two days each way for that, so maybe my route needs shortening.

I agree the 650 Dakar would be great on tarmac and OK off tarmac.

Some routing suggestions for Spain if you have SatNav: http://www.morocco-knowledgebase.net/forum/showthread.php?t=105

Ah, I was missing the crossing of Spain. What with faffing about getting a ferry you need to allow two days each way for that, so maybe my route needs shortening.

I agree the 650 Dakar would be great on tarmac and OK off tarmac.

Some routing suggestions for Spain if you have SatNav: http://www.morocco-knowledgebase.net/forum/showthread.php?t=105

Thanks again Tim. so if you think that there might be a time constraint with your suggested route, I think my preference would be to give Marrakech a miss this time, I prefer smaller towns every time. Looks like I will need to get the Dakar ready then, its in bits at the moment, looking to fit a XZ front fork conversion, waiting on some bits from Australia:) john

Have booked the Plymouth/Santander ferry today, out on 19th April, back on 18th May 2016.The only restriction is that I need to be in Essaouira between the 3 to 7th May, as the Mrs is flying out.
Any helpful suggestions as to any good routes, places to visit and accommodation en route will be much appreciated, not too much off road stuff though:) This is my first visit to Morocco and I don't know why i have left it so long. thanks john

If you take the Dakar you have always the option to take on a bit of off road if the mood takes you . If you have no intention of any " Piste " riding then the VFR would be fine. I found the roads over there much better than you would imagine and in many cases better condition than we have in Norfolk!
As below routes / Places of interest / Accommodation can all be found on Tims fantastic Knowledgebase website. Essential reading before going
Have you thought about having your bike transported to Southern Spain and starting your tour from there. This is what I did last year having only two weeks holiday and it worked out great. Flew into Malaga from Stansted early one morning and was on the bike in Morocco not long after lunch time.
Reise Know How seems to be the default map .
Currently planning my second trip there for next April :)

I would hit Fez on the head then as well. There's little point stopping in major towns unless you are going to spend at least half a day sightseeing. Riding in through the hassle of the heavy evening traffic for a quick overnight stop only to ride out again the next morning is no fun. Azrou is a lovely place, I spent about six weeks there looking for land to build a base.

I'm in southern Spain at the moment, and am taking my Spanish Panda 4x4 over to Morocco on Sunday with a mate. A chance to buy a car load of souvenirs to decorate our Spanish base.

The 4x4 ground clearance is better than a standard Panda but not brilliant so I won't be doing rocky pistes. We're probably going to do pretty much the Tanger > Tafraoute route I suggested above, but with a stop in Tazenakht for carpets and Safi for the pottery.

I'd like to do a Morocco trip, but thought the security situation far too dangerous. Am I very wrong, moderately or turning into a southern tissue juggler?

I'd like to do a Morocco trip, but thought the security situation far too dangerous. Am I very wrong, moderately or turning into a southern tissue juggler?

No more dangerous than a trip to Sainbury's, you just need more sunscreen - :D

FCO doesn't have a high terror risk alert against my Sainsburys although having seen Sainsburys value range Im not sure the criteria are the same as an assault on the senses versus a former French protectorate that's a tad miffed.

Paris or Marrakesh? Choice is your's ;)

1512-exupery.jpg

Gratuitous photo for Bakerman... The Panda performed wonderfully offroad, even in deep sand. This is the film prop of the cockpit of Antoine de Saint-Exupéry's plane from 'Le Petit Prince' filmed in 1974 near Erg Chebbi.

1512-tagines.jpg

1512-plates.jpg

Plates and decorative serving tagines, mainly bought from Safi on the Atlantic coast where most of the pottery is made.

Hi,
Situation in Morocco is absolutely safe. I just had a wonderful trip there, people are extremely helpful and no security or terrorist threat whatsoever. Huge part of their economic relies on tourism, they are doing their best to keep their awesome country safe.

I've been living in Morocco for over two years now with family. Travelled extensively throughout the country and never felt threatened or unsafe. The same applies to my kids.

Looking forward to my trip, really must get on with the planning!��

Back
Top Bottom