Nav VI ghosting - have I found a cure?

ShakeyBMW

S K P
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So far my experience of ghosting has been with the unit on the bike, with the engine running (Duh). I have never experienced it when using the unit in the car on 12V power.

So I realised that the difference between the two scenarios is that in the car, the cable just supplies power whereas on the bike, there is the Canbus data too.

If I get ghosting, I normally thoroughly clean the screen and the mount / device contacts but it doesn’t last long before the ghosting comes back.

I have long thought that the problem might be down to RFI on the data segment of the cable and then I remembered that I had some clip on Ferrite cores in my garage drawers. I dug one out and I fitted it to the GPS cable. It’s a bit loose but that’s not really an issue.

Subsequently, I haven’t experienced ghosting but it’s early days yet as I also cleaned the screen and contacts again.

I’ll keep you posted.

If you want to try this too, Ferrite cores things can be found on Amazon for not many pennies.

So far my experience of ghosting has been with the unit on the bike, with the engine running (Duh). I have never experienced it when using the unit in the car on 12V power.

So I realised that the difference between the two scenarios is that in the car, the cable just supplies power whereas on the bike, there is the Canbus data too.

If I get ghosting, I normally thoroughly clean the screen and the mount / device contacts but it doesn’t last long before the ghosting comes back.

I have long thought that the problem might be down to RFI on the data segment of the cable and then I remembered that I had some clip on Ferrite cores in my garage drawers. I dug one out and I fitted it to the GPS cable. It’s a bit loose but that’s not really an issue.

Subsequently, I haven’t experienced ghosting but it’s early days yet as I also cleaned the screen and contacts again.

I’ll keep you posted.

If you want to try this too, Ferrite cores things can be found on Amazon for not many pennies.
Now that is good investigative detection. Hope it works...simple fix.

I’ll keep you posted.

Sadly, the answer is No I Haven't found a cure.

Reminds me of….

Well, mi lord Wapping, my cunning plan to send my splat of purest green to the alchemists guild has resulted in a free replacement device with a CAP touchscreen.
Hurrah for C.M.O.T. Garmin.

Nav VI ghosting, screen unresponsive so can't enter anything. Device is 4 years old, so had a good run. Rang Garmin Tues first thing, they are replacing FOC, will wait and see

Back
Top Bottom