Need to replace fork seal 1991/93 R80GS - how?

nud1e

Reaction score
The left fork seal has gone. I need to replace it and change the oil. The Haynes manual details the strip down of the fork but I don't need to go that far.
Can I just remove the lower fork section and replace the seal leaving the stanchion in the yoke and what the tried and tested method.
Any advice gratefully received and how do you get the fork gaiter clip off and replaced?

nud1e said:
The left fork seal has gone. I need to replace it and change the oil. The Haynes manual details the strip down of the fork but I don't need to go that far.
Can I just remove the lower fork section and replace the seal leaving the stanchion in the yoke and what the tried and tested method.
Any advice gratefully received and how do you get the fork gaiter clip off and replaced?

It's easier by far to remove the complete fork from the yoke, especially when it comes to undoing the bolt on the underside of the fork.

You may be able to lever the crimped on clip off with a flat balded screwdiver & then cut it off with pliers? I have some of these clips but I don't know if I have the size you need. In addition you need a special crimping tool to fit a new clip or just use a cable tie?

Steve

It is far easier to remove the leg complete.
Once you've got the gaitor off, you then delve into the top of the slider to remove the spring clip. (a right bastard)
Then you undo the bolt in the bottom of the slider.
Then remove the spring from inside the stantion.
Let all the oil drain out.
Then you grab the leg in one hand and the stantion in the other and slide up and down (oooeeerrrrr!) bashing the old seal and top bush out the top.
Reassemble with new seal.

I found some proper circlips to fit in place of the spring clips. Much easier to remove next time.

Back
Top Bottom