New member and first BMW!

Zundap

Reaction score
Hello all, just bought my first ever BMW after having many other makes and models of bikes.
My last bike was a Tiger 955i and I fancied a change but wanted to stick with the adventure style. Was going to stick with the Triumph brand but up popped a mint condition 2009 R1200gs at a very decent price.
So took the plunge and now it's mine. It really is a lovely looking machine but the feel of the engine is very different to my Tiger.....i guess going from an inline 3 to a flat twin.
It does seem dare I say a little lumpy at lower revs but once up to speed it is very stable, smooth and comfortable.

Never having owned a GS before can someone reassure me that my description of the engine is just the characteristic of how they are and not a particular issue with my bike?

Delighted with the condition of the bike, it comes with full service history pretty much up to the last 3 thousand of its 43k.

No doubt be asking lots more questions as more than happy in getting the spanners out to do my own servicing.
Cheers

Welcome to this unique and interesting corner of the Internet. Your description sounds about right but without seeing it, hearing it and even feeling what it's like ride it's hard to give you a definitive answer.

I'm sure it's fine and it goes well it's just different.
One thing and the only thing i can see which needs doing is replace the drivshaft gaitor from the gearbox to the swing arm. Its perished and split, will search the forums as I'm sure there will be a write up on how to do it.

The boxers are a bit 'agricultural' by nature so I'd echo what Schtum said.

Probably nothing, but might be worth finding someone else with a 1200 for you to compare with just to be sure.

Welcome on board :thumb2 oh, and great username. I've always had a thing for Zundaps but my wallet isn't that big :D

What you will find different is the front suspension and lack of dive under braking. Best thing about these bikes imo. Enjoy the relaxed riding experience of a flat twin.

Sent from my backyard

 sz
I'm sure it's fine and it goes well it's just different.
One thing and the only thing i can see which needs doing is replace the drivshaft gaitor from the gearbox to the swing arm. Its perished and split, will search the forums as I'm sure there will be a write up on how to do it.
Welcome, I had the same reaction when I changed from a Tiger 900 to an 1150GS in 2001. I am no mechanic but while you are getting the gaitor changed it would worth getting the drive shaft checked and serviced. It can be a pricey repair if it fails. Plenty of threads about it.

Thank you all.
Yes agricultural is the which sprang to my mind!
Coming from Norfolk it's quite apt 😂

Hello and welcome :beerjug:

Fairly sure you are just adjusting to the different feel, rather than any defects.....

There must be someone up there who might give you a view. Is there an independent BMW technician up there somewhere?

Do you have experience riding big twins at all, they can all seem lumpy after a multi

I have a friend who test rode an R1250RS the other day and hated it because it was so agricultural, I took the same bike out and though it was as smooth as silk apart from the clunk into first gear

Several years ago I had an Aprilla Caponord, and yes come to think of it was similar in a way

There must be someone up there who might give you a view. Is there an independent BMW technician up there somewhere?

There certainly is. In fact, I dropped my X-Country off to him today to have a new cam chain tensioner fitted.

They're all a little lumpy but should pull cleanly from a few thousand revs upwards, with bags of grunt. I've owned loads of twins over the years and this isn't much different to many except a few jap parallel twins but it makes a bit more torque than your older Aprilia (I had three RSVR Milles and they were fantastic bikes...torque on those I think was 72bls-ft). I came to a GSA from a Tiger 1200 Explorer and the big triples are much smoother low down so I'm sure you'll get used to the change with the boxer. Loved the engine in that Tiger, it was pretty ballistic higher up the revs and sounded lovely but like most modern Triumphs, what I hated was the top heaviness. Loaded up for touring with full panniers, it was a real workout hauling that bike about even in car parks, where sometimes it would take several attempts to haul the thing off the sidestand. I don't miss that at all. On the move, it was great. If only they'd made the damned thing lighter with a lower C&G! You'll learn to love the GS. It's nimble and all day comfortable. If you like it and decide that the big boxer's for you, you may then hanker after a 1200 L/C or later 1250. The power difference is significant and I reckon they're smoother motors having owned 4 boxers now, including two older air heads.

Back
Top Bottom