New to me R1100GS

MotoCammy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Evening folks,

Thought I’d share my progress with my R1100GS. I bought it in January and have thoroughly enjoyed owning it so far. I believe it was a previous forum members on here (@ronnie69 ?). Ace bike with an extensive history.

So far I’ve treated it to a full service, and fitted new brake pads.

I’ve had a couple of challenges along the way, firstly when fitting new pads I was torquing the caliper bolts (to 40 Nm) when one of them sheared. On further inspection it appeared to be hollow / drilled out… not too sure why this would have been done?

Subsequently, when fitting new plugs I noted that they appeared as if it’s running a bit rich, evidence on the numberplate would suggest the same thing. I did a bit of reading on the forum and ended up with a better understanding of cat code plugs so went looking. The bike had a beige 30 - 87a plug resting on top of the socket but not plugged in so I’ve added it back in and will see if this improves the rich running.

I’ll upload some photos when I figure out how to do that…

Cheers,

Cammy

Hi Cammy, welcome on board. If your 1100 has been owned by someone on here then the chances are it was looked after, we are, after all, enthusiasts. Good luck with it, hope you enjoy it.

Thanks, it certainly has been well cared for. In super condition for its age and a stack of paperwork.

I’ll be servicing the gearbox and final drive next, any idea if a litre will do both?

Cheers

Cammy

Is this Rxxx PBV in monkey pizzle greeen :D :duck: (aka Kalahari Yellow) with Ohlins front and back? If yes, I had it for a time although I think maybe another forum user on here had it after me. It was indeed a great bike which I was tempted to buy back when I saw it for sale on here a few months back then again when I also saw it on ebay in December/January which was when you bought it I guess. If it wasn't for the fact that I have young kids and rarely get time to ride and have dwindling space I'd have been very sorely tempted. It doesn't seem to have done many miles since I sold it, quite some years ago now.

It was well looked after before me and I cared for it well too although I am no mechanic. I had it serviced by Steptoe off of here on the midlands servicing awaydays he did a few years back - at least once, but maybe twice :nenau. He did something with the cat code plug but I don't remember if he connected it up or disconnected (sorry). I also know nothing about any issue with the brake pads - I don't think I ever replaced them while I owned it.

I'm not sure that helps much. Anyway, if/when you come to sell it, let me know and I might have a dabble again :blast :augie :thumby: :rolleyes:. Great colour, great handling, good luggage (does it still have the Hepco & Becker stuff?).

Happy motoring 👍

Is this Rxxx PBV in monkey pizzle greeen :D :duck: (aka Kalahari Yellow) with Ohlins front and back? If yes, I had it for a time although I think maybe another forum user on here had it after me. It was indeed a great bike which I was tempted to buy back when I saw it for sale on here a few months back then again when I also saw it on ebay in December/January which was when you bought it I guess. If it wasn't for the fact that I have young kids and rarely get time to ride and have dwindling space I'd have been very sorely tempted. It doesn't seem to have done many miles since I sold it, quite some years ago now.

It was well looked after before me and I cared for it well too although I am no mechanic. I had it serviced by Steptoe off of here on the midlands servicing awaydays he did a few years back - at least once, but maybe twice :nenau. He did something with the cat code plug but I don't remember if he connected it up or disconnected (sorry). I also know nothing about any issue with the brake pads - I don't think I ever replaced them while I owned it.

I'm not sure that helps much. Anyway, if/when you come to sell it, let me know and I might have a dabble again :blast :augie :thumby: :rolleyes:. Great colour, great handling, good luggage (does it still have the Hepco & Becker stuff?).

Happy motoring 👍

Evening mate,

Yep that’s the one, in the Kalahari Yellow with the online front and back. It’s a superb bike and I’ve been really enjoying my time with it so far. I don’t think it’s done much in the way of miles since you’ve had it and you’ll be pleased to hear all the paperwork you gathered and kept is still with it (thanks for the history, ace!).

I’m reasonable with a spanner and have done a fair bit of servicing since I got it since although it hasn’t done many miles, it’s been a while. I’ve also added some spotlights to the front to compliment the headlight. The cat code plug seems to have rectified the rich running and it’s running much better now!

Still complete Hepco and Becker luggage with a stack of keys for them too! I’ll be heading of to Ireland on it soon for a wee tour so will put some more miles on it then.

Cheers, Cammy

Back
Top Bottom