No bike - just some history …

Boxerboy55

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Commemoration and Dedication of the new Memorial”

23 September 1923 - Redding Pit Disaster

I live near this revitalised memorial. In fact I live on top of the old mine workings and my street and several others nearby are named after men who died in the event.

I previously read the full story describing the event and subsequent enquiry and have also read a library book about Scotland’s mining history. Fascinating reading. A much harder job for men, women and children than I had imagined.

Last weekend a very touching ceremony was held following a local march with many local worthies attending along with a piper, brass band and the Free Colliers.

The new-look memorial certainly exceeded most folk’s expectations.

IMG_4653.jpegIMG_4648.jpegIMG_4644.jpegIMG_4651.jpegIMG_4650.jpegIMG_4655.jpeg

Thanks for posting BB. The Redding disaster centenary has been in the news of course. I'll need to take a pootle over there to see the memorial.

I daresay you've travelled from your neck of the woods to the A1 a few times and had to filter through the queues at the Sherrifhall roundabout?

There were plans to build an underpass to relieve the congestion but these had to be shelved because of the presence of pit workings in the vicinity. All pretty normal in this part of Scotland of course. However (Michael Caine voice ...) Not a lot of people know that this was one of the actual mines visited by the Royal Commission on Child Labour in the Mines of 1842. So some of the illustrations you can see here are based on the accounts of adult and child workers in the Sherrifhall pit.

I tend to think about that every time I struggle through the traffic there! It's really not that bad compared to the work that used to be done underneath it!

I daresay you've travelled from your neck of the woods to the A1 a few times and had to filter through the queues at the Sherrifhall roundabout?

There were plans to build an underpass to relieve the congestion but these had to be shelved because of the presence of pit workings in the vicinity. All pretty normal in this part of Scotland of course. However (Michael Caine voice ...) Not a lot of people know that this was one of the actual mines visited by the Royal Commission on Child Labour in the Mines of 1842. So some of the illustrations you can see here are based on the accounts of adult and child workers in the Sherrifhall pit.

I tend to think about that every time I struggle through the traffic there! It's really not that bad compared to the work that used to be done underneath it!
I was just wondering the other day what the delays were. It’s still ongoing and looking at 2028 (I’ll believe that when I see it)

I used to travel that road to go to work and I told my wife I’m glad I’m retiring as I’ll avoid all the roadworks.

That was 4 years ago 😂

Back
Top Bottom