Potential purchase advice sought please for a 2003 1150GS

I also suffer from Tinnitus and strongly recommend custom moulded ear plugs. I use Ultimate Ear Hope I'm not preaching to the converted :). No connection with them except as a very happy long term customer. The success or otherwise of these plugs is dependent on the quality of impression taken by an audiologist.

The bike looks to be in good condition Elmer, with regular servicing and a bit of TLC it will probably be good for 100,000 miles +

That's an adventure screen. Tobinators will sort it out generally. I have them and a touratech wind deflector and I can ride at a pace with my visor up no problem, no buffeting at all, as good as my old givi screen on the RT which was 90+ with the flip front up.

The height of the screen is only part of the issue. The main issue is the wind not passing behind the screen, the tobinators sort this. Don't worry, it doesn't get windy behind the screen, it just allows the wind to flow better across it.

Nice looking bike btw.

They are great bikes, I did almost 100,000 miles on my '03 bike.

The headlights are poor if you ride at night, especially if it's wet. Upgrade to HID's for both units but don't fit the ballasts in the instrument pod as it plays havoc with the LCD rider info display. I fitted one either side of the headstock under the front of the tank. Perfect. You can get top quality kit from Les Wassall on this forum. (This was the first mod I did to my current bike as well.

I dumped the rear can and fitted a stubby tail pipe. Search stubby on the forum. Saves about 6½kgs in weight and means that you can use a full size left pannier without an exhaust recess. It also makes the bike a bit more flexible at low speeds and improves fuel economy a little. A bit crisper sound but not really much extra noise. This only applies if you have the original catalyst in place below the gearbox.

I removed the servo abs system before it could be a problem. You end up with better brakes (more feel and less grabby), it can cost nothing and you reduce the weight by another 7 or 8kgs. On the subject of brakes, the hoses are probably original, change them for braided ones. Even though the mileage is low they are old and may be deteriorating. It's usually the inner layer that fails and causes a blockage whilst the outside looks fine.

Wilbers or Ohlins suspension at both ends make a great bike even better.

I used Tobinators with the standard screen but it was never great. At its best it wasn't as good as the standard screen on the Super Tenere that I now have. If I'd kept it I would have fitted a Calsci screen

Change the final drive oil every 6,000 miles when you do the engine oil and filter. It takes a just a few hundred mls of oil and a couple of crush washers and gives you early warning of any FD issues, it is one of the few weak points on the 1150.

Ride, lots, enjoy.

Good round up there:clap

Thanks for your input gents and while it may be just a little early to consider mods, I am very keen to do anything to prevent the tinnitus getting worse, hence wanting to reduce wind noise as much as possible. I noticed this as a potential problem on the way home and ducking down just a couple of inches seemed to improve it considerably, hence the thinking behind the taller screen. If anyone has one they might want shot of please let me know.

Here she is!

As Flip says, it's a GSA screen and Tobinators will help no end

Had one just like that, new in 2004.............before I got my 1150GSA in 2005

If you're going to do your own maintenance (even if you're not I guess) I would recommend fitting quick disconnects to the tank fuel lines. If it does have them make sure they're the ones with the metal male component. After having one of the plastic versions break on me recently it's definitely something you want to avoid!

Congrats on the bike, you'll love it. I had the darker yellow... initially thought it was 'oriole but learned to love it.

I have a pyramid plastics hugger carbon fibre hugger left over. You'll need the fitting adaptor fixers but it's yours for nothing if you're ever near Saffron Walden!

Big thank-you to everyone who has commented. Yup, for some reason it does have an Adventure screen, I have no idea why! Are these any better or worse for noise that the standard GS screen? I looked at Tobinators and the GSA ones are waaay more expensive than the standard GS ones for some reason. Do you think I'd be better with the current GSA screen and tobinators or would I be better off trying to find a GS screen and then fitting tobinators?

Took her to Coopers of Tunbridge Wells this week for a couple of recalls (she already has the metal quick release tank connects but thanks anyway Slipperyeel) and really enjoyed the ride despite the rain and the traffic!

I am probably intending on doing most of my own servicing so is there a definitive workshop manual out (and does anyone have a copy surplus to requirements please?) there that is best to use and also what oil do most folk use and where can I order on-line oil filters etc please?

Thanks again for all of your input!

I have pretty much the same bike as you - even down to the monkey piss colour.

You deffo have an adventure screen there, (like me) which I believe was an option at the time. This screen is a good size but has no adjustment like the standard one. As stated above get a set of Tobinators and you will have almost infinite adjustment, so much so that the screen will foul the bars on full lock if you go too far. With some trial and error adjustments you will solve your problem.

I hated the colour when I bought the bike s/h in 2005 so I swapped over the tank and plastics bought from on here. I kept the originals in the loft and forgot about them until this year when my fuel pump failed. While the bike was in pieces I decided to refit the yellow bits just for a change, and I'm glad I did. Somehow the colour seems to have improved with age.....Or perhaps its just me?

The adventure kit comes with a few extra bits. Well worth the money in my opinion.

Should you want to try the GSA torbinators before purchase I will lend you a set so you can have a practice and see if they suit you. I love the yellow. Dave

Hard to see if you have them but a fender extender on the front mudguard and alloy/stainless plate to prevent stone chips on the timing cover are worthy upgrades. Make it yourself rather than pay £40+ for one. I much prefer the GSA screen. Dave

is there a definitive workshop manual?
Here you go: LINKY

what oil do most folk use
Haha, you may regret asking that (or I may regret answering :blast )

Use a good quality, 20w50 grade car (not motorcycle) oil to API spec. SM, SL, SJ or SH. No need for JASO MA motorcycle oil, as the bike has a dry clutch. I use this: LINKY

where can I order on-line oil filters etc please?

Motorworks are very good and, if you call them, give expert advice. www.motorworks.co.uk

Enjoy the bike and take most things on here with a large pinch of salt :D

Last edited:
I bought the OEM Mahle oil filter from a chain car accessory shop, they are used on some cars so readily available locally. Much cheaper too, OC 91 or OC91d .

Do you think I'd be better with the current GSA screen and tobinators or would I be better off trying to find a GS screen and then fitting tobinators?

if you're going to get a standard screen you'll also need the mounts/brackets, as the ADV screen has it's own and the standard screen won't fit.

If you think you'll switch to the standard screen I'd be interested in taking the old one of your hands. Been looking for one! :D

I put an MRA spoiler on R1200GSA and very happy with the result - less noise, can keep visor open a bit. Ordered one for R1150GS, will fit it next month. It is a nicely made thing, fully adjustable. Only needs 4 6mm holes.

Should you want to try the GSA torbinators before purchase I will lend you a set so you can have a practice and see if they suit you. I love the yellow. Dave

Apologies for the slightly belated reply (things been a bit busy what with being made redundant an all!) but many thanks for the kind offer and I may well take you up on it. A set of GSA tobinators has come up on the bay of evil so if I can get these at a sensible price I wont need to but many thanks again for the offer!

Back
Top Bottom