Punctures!

Wreford Miles

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I do like my TrailRiders on the Hexhead GSA but I’m always getting punctures - It’s probably because I do ride through the centre of road shite when filtering.

Anyway yesterday I picked up another slow puncture and I need new tyres so any thoughts on tyres that are less prone to punctures

TIA

I do like my TrailRiders on the Hexhead GSA but I’m always getting punctures - It’s probably because I do ride through the centre of road shite when filtering.

Anyway yesterday I picked up another slow puncture and I need new tyres so any thoughts on tyres that are less prone to punctures

TIA

Stop filtering, in the ‘dirty’ part of the road

Three sets of TKC 70 and only got one puncture on this last set (when new…) going through roadworks on the A31. Massive screw through the centre of the rear tyre. Patched.

Apart from that, I haven’t been careful with all three sets, offroad and on road, and that was the only puncture. Give them a try.

This, more than anything else is the correct answer. When I used to teach EOD response driving, if we got a puncture it was always after using the hatched areas of the road.

This, more than anything else is the correct answer. When I used to teach EOD response driving, if we got a puncture it was always after using the hatched areas of the road.

Maybe my question should be 'are any tyres better for filtering through the dirty part of the road than others'. :D

It is the correct answer, but it is also true that some tyres are more susceptible to punctures, due to thread design, structure, etc.

the issue is speed bumps - van drivers don't slow down so the very reason they fit them is pointless - unless the aim is really to make the slaves life a misery

as all van drivers spread the combined output of all daily sales from screwfix's screw and nail catalogue on every minor road, every week. As they take to their flying lessons (before ripping out a well made kitchen that'll last 45 years, for one designed to almost last 6 weeks)

do you have roads?

in berks and bucks, I only have these traffic calming sections of new kerb stones, landing one narrow lane for pairs of cars now both 2 foot wider than they used to be, thundering around on my side of a crumbling mess that's a combination of gravel, over-banding and 8" potholes, surrounded by razor sharp 3" sections of fractured road springs, a combination of engine and suspension mounting bolts, a very large scattering of glass and helium bottles from hoodies antics, 17 nails per square yard, all buried under a 1" layer of diesel soot, brake dust, bits of door mirrors and a lot of chippings that where once stuck to what we used to call roads some 40 years ago

do you have roads?

in berks and bucks, I only have these traffic calming sections of new kerb stones, landing one narrow lane for pairs of cars now both 2 foot wider than they used to be, thundering around on my side of a crumbling mess that's a combination of gravel, over-banding and 8" potholes, surrounded by razor sharp 3" sections of fractured road springs, a combination of engine and suspension mounting bolts, a very large scattering of glass and helium bottles from hoodies antics, 17 nails per square yard, all buried under a 1" layer of diesel soot, brake dust, bits of door mirrors and a lot of chippings that where once stuck to what we used to call roads some 40 years ago

Funny, in all my years I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything that bad. :blast. It must be grim down there.

Off road what is this is thing you speak of??? putting it in the garage from the road is off road is this what you mean???

Thinking these might be a better option.

I do like the Avon Trail Riders getting towards the end of my 4th or maybe even it’s the 5th set but my riding nowadays could accommodate a slight loss in handling for toughness

Attachments

• A730E056-7F2C-4274-BA37-0FDAA0960D34.jpg
    A730E056-7F2C-4274-BA37-0FDAA0960D34.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 199
the issue is speed bumps - van drivers don't slow down so the very reason they fit them is pointless - unless the aim is really to make the slaves life a misery

as all van drivers spread the combined output of all daily sales from screwfix's screw and nail catalogue on every minor road, every week. As they take to their flying lessons (before ripping out a well made kitchen that'll last 45 years, for one designed to almost last 6 weeks)

do you have roads?

I do on occasion wonder exactly what goes on in your head. That's nearly as bad as the Stephen king book I'm currently reading.

I feel bad I undersold it .... reading again it sounds far better than the reality

the number of vehicles 2/3rds on my side making zero attempt to get over is growing by the minute, with 9 out of 10 thinking a GS can get through a 2 foot gap

Thinking these might be a better option.

I do like the Avon Trail Riders getting towards the end of my 4th or maybe even it’s the 5th set but my riding nowadays could accommodate a slight loss in handling for toughness

Have used Hydenheau Scoùts for last seven years for all my 1200GSA riding (10-12 K per year), last very well, no issue with handling, tough as old boots and worked well off road. Wouldn’t fit anything else, particularly handy on ragged narrow roads up the glen where the grass has taken root in the centre and don’t miss a beat on loose gravel.

Slightly noisy on motorways, but a couple of lbs extra sorts that, rather tight fit on rear if you have a after market hugger fitted.

Firm rigid tyres which are much easier to fit after they have been warmed out in the sun.

Me neither, he should …..
Come to the Yorkshire Dales
Land of milk and honey to ride

I was west of halifax a few months back - undercover plod in a navy blue 5 series estate at 09:00 on a sunday with a laser camera in between more speed camera's per square inch than a gatso factory i

its seems to be perception over reality has got very muddled in the last 20 years

Have used Hydenheau Scoùts for last seven years for all my 1200GSA riding (10-12 K per year), last very well, no issue with handling, tough as old boots and worked well off road. Wouldn’t fit anything else, particularly handy on ragged narrow roads up the glen where the grass has taken root in the centre and don’t miss a beat on loose gravel.

Slightly noisy on motorways, but a couple of lbs extra sorts that, rather tight fit on rear if you have a after market hugger fitted.

Firm rigid tyres which are much easier to fit after they have been warmed out in the sun.

I like the look of those.
I also like the STR's but find them noisy, particularly at the rear (or at least that's where most of the noise seems to come from!).
How are these in the Wet?

Have a look at the Dunlop Meridian......have them on my Crosstourer at the moment and I really rate them.

S20 5G sent this......

They will definitely outlast the Avon without giving up any performance.

S20 5G sent this......

Back
Top Bottom