Roadlok or Disc Lock....???

For years I took nothing more abroad than this:

It’s definitely not the strongest lock out there, so why?

a. It’s a cable lock, so more often than not I could lock my bike to something or to another bike.

b. It has no key, so that’s one less thing to lose.

c. It is easy to use, so I use it.

d. Something is definitely better than nothing. Lots of people do nothing.

The pound of butter in my fridge did the rest.

Once or twice a year I give the lock a spray of WD40 - in my experience the issue of 'crud' becomes known over a period of days/weeks, it doesn't catch you by surprise.
Precisely. I don’t use mine in anger a lot but you can soon tell if it needs a clean out when the mechanism gets a bit sticky. Not much of a job to take it off the caliper, clean, and lubricate it.

Not much of a job to take it off the caliper, clean, and lubricate it.
Mine has been on for four years and the bike is used all year round - never needed to remove the caliper.

Just a squirt of WD40 sorts it for me...

Mine has been on for four years and the bike is used all year round - never needed to remove the caliper.

Just a squirt of WD40 sorts it for me...
Mine’s been off twice. This time because I’m selling the bike and I want to make sure it’s ‘reight’ as we say oop north.

I still use a 20 year old Abus Granite Variolock disc lock. They were tested against disc cutters and bolt cutters and are up there with the best made today (original version). However, one layer of security, no matter how impervious (non are impervious given time and the right tools) will save you from a theft if thieves are determined. The answer, in part, is to layer security. I travel with a variolock and a chain and lock in the top box AND a tug boat cable thingy with it's own hardened lock. The chances of a thief wanting to take the time or bother to attack three separate decent quality locks are far less than the opportuinistic thief with battery disc cutter (tool of choice these days) having a go at any one lock, nomatter how good. I usually try and secure my bike to something immovable or where not possible, to my mate's bike so they'll have to move both if they can be bothered. Oh, and a fresh pound of butter's always in the fridge....

Buy whatever you fancy, just don't ever rely on a single lock protecting your pride and joy. It won't. Most times these days thieves will happily cut through a disc as they can simply buy a new disc for less than the cost of the lock securing it in most cases.

Thieves don't buy discs mate, they just help themselves to someone else's bike if they need another one.

@BikerMan

Funily enough I have a ABUS Granit Detecto XPLUS 8008 ('Made In Germany') that I am thinking of selling. (I have moved to a Honda ADV350 and the holes in the front disc are too narrow for the thumping wedge of the ABUS kit.)

'As new' condition, with carry sack.
Cheapest online price seems to be:

Yours for £100 posted to UK mainland (can price for other destinations).

IMG_20231031_105931.jpg

Last edited:
Just bought a Roadlok, arrived this morning.

My 2 core reasons where its always on the bike. And Bennetts trying to take it off a bike took them ages. Also they aren't to common so thieves tend not to know what to make of them so brute force comes to play.

I don't intend to use it if I'm leaving the bike somewhere dodgy or a number of hours. I use my squire lock and almax chain for that. It's huge.

But this is for convenience and piece of mind. Too many angle grinders now a days seem to take out traditional disk locks no problem.

Back
Top Bottom