Shift Assist Pro!

MojoMark

Reaction score
Greetings and Thank you for allowing me in. I have a GS1200R, 2016 with 15K kms.
I live in the centre of Amsterdam so my GS is my way of getting around this smokey city easily.
The GS is for all intense and purposes a pretty good bike! I'm 65 and started at 11, Francis Barnet 250cc, the GS
is my favorite of all BM's over the decades!. No complaints, well accept one, the F.......ing Gearbox. it's horrible.
If you live in Town and traffic lights are your worst enemy, the gearbox is a nightmare!
My Dad Massey Furgerson was smoother. I also have Shift Assist Pro.................
I've read SO many comments I am confused.
There is a small box of tricks carefully tucked into the gear shift mechanism that I read has magnets in it!!
Since new, upshifts 2-3. 3-4. etc are as reliable as a British Bus Timetable. Interestingly going down ALWAYS works.
What's all this resetting stuff, I really can't find a clear thread on the subject. Our BMW dealers are shite!......but I own my own garage, so I'm a techi.
Seems I am by far not alone!...... OK, not 1-2, but the rest should work perfectly. Throttle on for ups, off for downs. Simple?.....

Sorry for this again, but I have to ask!....... Anyone for a Coffee Shop Run? ..... Dank U Wel.... Cheers.

You still need to match your RPM to the correct gear. Or it won't let you shift smoothly. This is always the complaint I hear about Shift assist. And I always say:

It's Shift "ASSIST"... Not Shift "you don't have to ride properly anymore"

The 1300 GS shift assist pro on the demo bike I rode a week ago was far improved on the 1200gs implementation. It was actually safe to use pretty much any gear up or down. I wish I could turn it off on my 1200. Wonder if the new style can be retrofitted

You still need to match your RPM to the correct gear. Or it won't let you shift smoothly. This is always the complaint I hear about Shift assist. And I always say:

It's Shift "ASSIST"... Not Shift "you don't have to ride properly anymore"
Sir, with respect, you are assuming something. As a professional Gearbox Builder, I appreciate shifting points. Each engine has it's own characteristics and the GS is no exception to this rule. Min change for me is 3000 and the system should cope with up to 6500 faultlessly. It doesn't. Truly I love it when it works, butter indeed. But it's the daily buts.....WD40, works for a few days, then bucks... and bucking is what happens when you go for the super fast click up!, selector is locked...... not safe, not nice, especially when you are indeed with a wide open throttle and going up to 6000 rpm!..... it needs to work......................... When working, mine only takes a very gentle nudge, which is super nice............
Listen its a BMW, it has to work!

The 1300 GS shift assist pro on the demo bike I rode a week ago was far improved on the 1200gs implementation. It was actually safe to use pretty much any gear up or down. I wish I could turn it off on my 1200. Wonder if the new style can be retrofitted
Turn it off? No need, just don't use it...... I am hoping for something on this endless subject. Seems to be a big problem!

Back
Top Bottom