Solution for transferring GPX to Montana 7xx without Explore

Berin

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Transferring a GPX file to a Montana whist on the road requires either carrying a laptop or using the dreadful Explore app.

However, there is another way if you have an new style iPad Pro with a USB C connector there's an easy way, since the iPad recognises external mass storage devices.

1) Open the File app on the iPad, create a folder called GPX or some such and drop your GPX file into it - you can save it from an email, or from whatever app you created it in, or from a download like the TET website.
2) Connect the Montana to the iPad - I use an Apple USB C to USB B connector and the Garmin micro USB cable
3) The Montana appears in the File app as a mass storage device
4) Find your GPX file, long press and "copy"
5) Navigate to the Garmin>GPX folder on the Montana. Long press, "paste" and you'll see your GPX file
6) Disconnect the Montana, then Where To>Tracks, and your track will be there!

Since the iPad Pro has a much better file manager, you can also store tracks for example in Drop Box, or even an external USB drive or SD card so you can't lose them while on a trip

Shouldn't you be able to transfer via Bluetooth too?

I know they are two different devices and operating systems, but a couple of times already I managed to download .GPX routes (off my TRF local group forum) and send them to the XT from the iPhone (download to dropbox on iphone and then send to XT) while in the meeting point with the rest of the group in the morning.
Surely you can skip the cable with the Montana too?

Interested as I'm always looking at the Montana 7xx and might get one at some point :)

I guess you send gpx files to your XT via Garmin Drive on your phone. It works very well.

The Montana doesn’t support Drive, only Explore and Connect. Connect doesn’t do any file transfer and Explore is nasty, and requires an internet connection.

So, no, it’s not possible to send a gpx to the Montana via Bluetooth- at least I haven’t found a way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes Berin, you are correct.

Ok. Good to know.
I'll follow the thread to learn more.

I tried this with a track so far, which appeared in the Montana in the Tracks app (unsuprisingly!).

But, the Garmin folder where I put the track has only one subfolder for the current track. I'll test putting a route in the folder, and see what it does with that - since like the XT there are separate "apps" for tracks and routes, and I don't know how, by looking at a gpx file, the device knows if it's a route or a track.

I tried this with a track so far, which appeared in the Montana in the Tracks app (unsuprisingly!).

But, the Garmin folder where I put the track has only one subfolder for the current track. I'll test putting a route in the folder, and see what it does with that - since like the XT there are separate "apps" for tracks and routes, and I don't know how, by looking at a gpx file, the device knows if it's a route or a track.

I agree it’s odd how a device knows the difference. But MyRoute can spot and differentiate between tracks and routes, when it comes to uploads.

@ Berin re:"Transferring a GPX file to a Montana whist on the road requires either carrying a laptop or using the dreadful Explore app."
Well, not nececessarily.

What works for me.
Two methods
My tracks, routes and waypoints are all saved in a file.gpx which I keep in my phone.

Using my android phone, connected directly to my Montana 700, using file manager app on phone => copy and paste into 700s' Garmin/gpx folder.
Nice, fast and easy. Or you can always copy maps or .gpx files (file manager on android) onto a micro SD from the phone and put micro SD into 700.
Sorry, no idea about anything 'apple'.

Thanks, that’s the conclusion I came to as well. The Montana appears as mass storage on the ipad so I can just copy over

Just to add to this discussion. I bought a USB C to USB A connector for my mobile phone. Older garmin units like the Nav 4, 340/390 etc show up when connected to the Android phone as USB devices. You can use Myroute app to design a route download it to the phone and then install it in the old device. I am going to get a lightning cable to USB adaptor to try it on the Ipad. Make of an light on the road route planning setup for old devices and easier to put routes on a number of units than swapping SD cards.

IMG_20231031_195702573.jpg

Back
Top Bottom