Stolen GS1150 - replace with what?

lewishamlad

Reaction score
Hi folks, looking for some advice on which BMW to buy if anyone has the time and inclination to share insight on models in the BMW family.

To give you an idea of the type of (non) biker I am, I have had the same 1150GS from new in 2003 until it was nicked last night (only bike I've ever had) which was bought in Dubai and ridden back to the UK and all over Europe for many years, then kids came along and it served London commuting until we moved to remote-working since when it's just been for days out, meetings around/outside the M25 and the odd weekend away. I have zero interest in the workings of bikes or fiddling with them and reliability is important, as is an up-rightish riding position as I'm no boy racer.

I don't really need 1150ccs but I do like the chunkiness of my 1150 (boo hoo now gone). I do a bit of off-roading in Wales and Portugal and when I get back on my old GS after a trip it feels like a tank but I soon settle back in. I'm thinking of maybe the 850, have ridden a 650 and it felt light but appreciate any views on what to get.

The reason I'm planing to stick with BMW is reliability and shaft drive means I don't need to do too much, otherwise I may look further afield. I may just get another 1150 (I like what I know) but am tempted by something lighter and punchier now I'm not packing up a tent etc to go to Spain anymore. There's fewer 1150's around but plenty of 1200s for obvious reasons, 1200s seem to get a bit of stick?

Inevitably I will have to trawl reviews to find out what suits best but that doesn't excite me as it does some, hence non-biker nomenclature and the request for more knowledgeable types to share their views.

Do not discount the 1200 option.
2007 onwards hexheads (no servo ABS from 2007) are cheap and still a vast improvement over the 1150. Not much less weight, but engine is better and the overall bike will be smoother.

As you appear to only want / need a bike for the odd journey out, close to the M25 and an occasional weekend away, a super scoot would be a very good choice. No significant maintenance either.

Do not discount the 1200 option.
2007 onwards hexheads (no servo ABS from 2007) are cheap and still a vast improvement over the 1150. Not much less weight, but engine is better and the overall bike will be smoother.

Not as much character as the 1150’s though
I have had a 1200 & couldn’t wait to get rid and go back to the 1150’s
For me (and possibly the OP) the 1200 is NOT a vast improvement over a 1150
The V85TT will be closer to the 1150 in character

I'd buy another 1150 I've had my 2002 model since 2004 still pretty cheap and some very clean low mileage ones about. I've ridden all the iterations of GS since the 1150 except the new 1300 and still prefer the 1150. I've always been lucky enough to have had a couple of bikes floating around and the GS currently shares the Garage with a 2020 Africa Twin Adventure Sports ES which is more fuel efficent and has decent electronics. It still does not have the road handling or fun of the R1150GS though.

Not as much character as the 1150’s though

“Character” :D

They’re both old bikes (I’ve had both). That’s it. The 1150 is a brick. The 1200 slightly less than a brick.

Anyway, everyone has their preferences.

Thanks.....that is one lovely-looking bike, will read up & line up a test ride.
What about another 1150 gs ? Like yours 1 owner from new, me , absolutely “Molly coddled” registered 1 March 2003.

Attachments

• IMG_2114.jpeg
    IMG_2114.jpeg
    131.6 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_2113.jpeg
    IMG_2113.jpeg
    179.5 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_2112.jpeg
    IMG_2112.jpeg
    161.7 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_2106.jpeg
    IMG_2106.jpeg
    207.6 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_2105.jpeg
    IMG_2105.jpeg
    230.9 KB · Views: 45
Many thanks all, I realise much of this is subjective but very much appreciate the views of people who have ridden a wider range of bikes than myself. Could be interested Alan, want to message me on whatsapp, I'm on 07971 629113.

It’ll alway be a very subjective question. Some views will align, some will be very divergent. Some will diverge, just to be bolshy about another bike.

Besides not ruling out a super scooter, I’d have a look at the big range of very good bikes offered by Royal Enfield, possibly the most interesting manufacturer of cheap, low maintenance motorcycles out there. None of them have anything more complicated than a chain to maintain. A very basic chain oiler will take care of a lot of that. Chain adjustment is easy; it really won’t need too much in normal use. There are lots of videos on how to do it, with just a couple of tools. Don’t want to do it? That’s fine, any local motorcycle service shop will do it for you, for a couple of quid.

There is a Himalayan for sale on the forum. It’s located not a million miles away. The seller has over-egged the bling perhaps but it’d be worth a look.

Back
Top Bottom