Struggling to transfer a map from a Nav 6 to my iMac

Snelly55

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I need help.

I have a Nav 6 that I used in the US and when in America, downloaded a Garmin map for the USA and it worked well. The Nav 6 unit has the ghosting problem now though so it has been replaced by an XT.

Current situation is that Garmin express recognises the Nav 6 and acknowledges that the US map is available for download. There is not enough space to do this though so the US map has been downloaded to a Micro SD card:

Screenshot 2024-03-02 at 11.47.08.png

I now want to use the US map in Basecamp or at least use the Micros SD card in the XT but have no option to download it to my computer in either Garmin Express or Basecamp, nor any option to transfer to another device. I can see the files on the SD card but they are not map files:

Screenshot 2024-03-02 at 11.49.35.png

Screenshot 2024-03-02 at 11.54.42.png

I hope this is a good enough explanation for anyone who can help to be able to understand the problem. Thanks in advance for any assistance offered.

Some bad news, I’m afraid.

I think the downloadable Garmin maps are SD card only, and not downloadable to your PC.

Also, once you’ve downloaded them I believe they are locked to the initial device, preventing you from using them in another device.

Have you already downloaded them with the BMW device connected?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some bad news, I’m afraid.

I think the downloadable Garmin maps are SD card only, and not downloadable to your PC.

Also, once you’ve downloaded them I believe they are locked to the initial device, preventing you from using them in another device.

Have you already downloaded them with the BMW device connected?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the reply. Quite a harsh stance taken on this from Garmin!

Yes I have. However, Basecamp is not recognising the downloaded map from the SD card on the Nav 6.

I haven’t tried the SD card in my XT yet but will today. That won’t solve the problem though as I want the map on the iMac to plan a route and it seems futile anyway given the information in the link you provided.

All looks like bad news, as you say!

Garmin do it, in order to prevent bods pirating or selling the maps on.

Maps have been device coded for at least the last 15 years.

I am though perhaps marginally surprised that BaseCamp does not draw the US map across, when the card is on the device and the device connected to your home computer.

My workaround suggestion. Fire up MyRoute, select HERE maps (compatible with Garmin) and plot your US holiday routes. Send the routes to your device. Check and then use.

Last edited:
Garmin do it, in order to prevent bods pirating or selling the maps on.

Maps have been device coded for at least the last 15 years.

I am though perhaps marginally surprised that BaseCamp does not draw the US map across, when the card is on the device and the device connected to your home computer.

My workaround suggestion. Fire up MyRoute, select HERE maps (compatible with Garmin) and plot your US holiday routes. Send the routes to your device. Check and then use.

I had a quick look and I need to purchase a subscription for this. Will check it out properly later.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom