Tracker...which one?

ac1250

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have just removed the item below from my '19 1250RS and I am hoping that it is the tracker!
I spoke to the datatag office who inform me that they can't detect it on their system when it was fitted on my bike so I was wondering if there are alternatives that other users on this
forum can recommend or should I stick with the datatag?

20240317_152218.jpg

I'd avoid the datatool one. I had one on my 2020 GS and it drained the battery plus it kept giving false alarms. More info in another thread here

I have BikeTrak on my GS. It's been on there 2 years and been good since day 1.

The battery drain is minimal, even when left standing for a month, it rarely gets below 12.6v - even during Winter in an unheated garage.
The app works well, easy to use and change between different security modes.
The call centre/help centre is quick & responsive - whether i've set it off accidentally and they call me, or i call them
It's not too pricey to buy and have installed by an approved workshop (which gives you their security & Police support should the worst happen). Yearly subscription is also not too expensive at £100.

Monimoto for me. Had one for years and it does what they say. My mate recovered his bike through his Monimoto. The 4 of us all have them and never had any issues.
£30 a year subscription and brilliant customer service.

Monimoto for me. Had one for years and it does what they say. My mate recovered his bike through his Monimoto. The 4 of us all have them and never had any issues.
£30 a year subscription and brilliant customer service.
Thank you for all your responses, sounds like the Monimoto may be the one for me

My bike came with the Datatool tracker as an approved used bike from BMW.

The tracker was a lash-up by the original fitter and it couldn't track satellites properly and kept causing nuisance alarms. At one point Datatool rang me to ask if I was on a ferry as my bike was supposedly somewhere in the Solent, even though it was actually in my garage about ten miles away from the water.

To be fair to datatool they sent a mobile fitter out to me twice to try and fix it, then finally replace it free of charge. It isn't that great and it drains my battery pretty quickly.

If I was buying my own tracker now, I would buy the BikeTrac, a mate has one and it is much better than the datatool.

I put my money into better locks and chains instead. Layered security works. There's always a risk whatever you use but I never leave my bike for any length of time anywhere I deem to be "high risk". If living in London or another large City, for daily use I'd use a cheaper and older middleweight. Most thieves couldn't be ar**d at tackling anything they couldn't nick within a few minutes, so disc locks front and rear and a decent chain and lock plus a cable lock are all in the top box at least act as a pretty decent deterrent.

Back
Top Bottom