Tracking pixel.

stever1

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
What is it ?

Just had an e Mail and amongst it all was a statement saying about using them.

so....

Beware emails that tell you about this sort of thing. Sounds highly likely to not be legitimate.

Tracking pixels are tiny (often 1 pixel x 1 pixel) images that websites use to gather data about your behaviour, user info etc.

More for selling you shit you don't want in a 'targeted' way than anything more sinister.

While I don't like that stuff, I'm highly suspicious of why it would be mentioned in an email.

Whatever you do, don't click any links in that email, but please do tell us a bit more about it.

Sounds very suspicious to me.

so....

Beware emails that tell you about this sort of thing. Sounds highly likely to not be legitimate.

Tracking pixels are tiny (often 1 pixel x 1 pixel) images that websites use to gather data about your behaviour, user info etc.

More for selling you shit you don't want in a 'targeted' way than anything more sinister.

While I don't like that stuff, I'm highly suspicious of why it would be mentioned in an email.

Whatever you do, don't click any links in that email, but please do tell us a bit more about it.

Sounds very suspicious to me.
Ok, so we booked a holiday with SAGA (yes we are just about old enough 😄) .
Got an E Mail this morning with suggestions about holidays we may like . Including pictures.
In the small print at the bottom it mentioned the tracking pixel thing.
Am I right in thinking it’s a cookie ?

It's similar, yes.

If the email has come from someone you've booked with then it's probably less sinister than my initial spidey senses might have indicated.

Think they might just being up front about using one. They'll most likely track what you've booked in order to try to sell you more of the same in the future - or something similar.

Maybe don't worry too much about it and enjoy your holiday!

Am I right in thinking it’s a cookie ?

It's a method to gather data that can (and usually is) subsequently stored both in cookies and your profile(s) on some advertiser's server.

Almost all commercial emails have them.
It's common (and normal) practice.

The disclaimer you received in the email is probably saying something along the lines of: "we profile you and store your profile data, bla bla bla".

Back
Top Bottom