Traveling in USA

(RIP) Yosi

Reaction score
Traveling in the USA
Advice sought from our fellow riders from the USA:

For some bizarre and unusual circumstances, I'll have to go by road (van) from Las Vegas (Nevada) to Denver (Colorado) first week of February 2004. I have 2.5 days to make the trip with a fellow driver. Any advice on prefered roads, sights, not to miss, etc?

Then, a week later, we go from Las vegas to S. francisco to catch the flight back to the Uk. More time this time, 5 days. Again, advice please? We tried to find info to hire bikes, but too expensive and not possible to return at a location different from the start point. (bugger!!) Anyone from Las Vegas who happens to know a cheap car hire facility?

Cheers, mates....Yosi

Yosi

LV to Denver in 2.5 days is 'pushing it' a bit; don't think you would have much time for sightseeing. Still, you would get to travel along a bit of the Colorado River.

LV to San Fran; what about going via Los Angeles & riding up the Pacific coast road - Highway 1, the 'Big Sur'?
Alternatively, LV to Lake Tahoe and/or Yosemite National Park. 5 days would give you a good amount of time to explore the areas.

I've spent some time traveling in both of those areas.

LV to Denver - if you can cut some time out to spend in Southwestern Utah, do so. Mile for mile, Utah has the best scenery in the entire country. Try to visit Zion, Bryce and Grand Canyon National Parks. For extra credit, visit Arches in Moab, UT. Cut across southern Utah and visit the Four Corners, a point where 4 states have a common juncture. Durango in southwestern Colorado is very nice and has a terrific brewpub on the main street. I don't know if you'll be able to get up US 550 to Ouray, but if you can, do so. The scenery on the "Million Dollar Highway" is breathtaking.

LV to SF - As a resident of California, I can advise you to try and avoid LA. The traffic will be horrendous and it's really an ugly city. The suggestion to come up the coast is very good. The Sierras will probably be snowy and crossing them can be treacherous. I'd try to hit Pacific Coast Hwy north of LA and take it up the coast from there. The scenery will be fantastic and traffic will most likely be light.

Along the way, visit San Simeon and Hearst Castle. It's a four or five hour event to tour the castle, but well worth it. Here's a shot of the above ground pool:

985283-M-2.jpg

....and here's a shot of the indoor pool:

985297-M-1.jpg

Morro Bay, which is just south of San Simeon, has ample lodging. North of San Simeon, towns get more infrequent and lodging more sporadic.

The views, however, are continuously terrific. (Get your own girls)

137678-M-1.jpg

Just north of Big Sur is Carmel and Monterey. Monterey is home to Laguna Seca (WSB racing, among others) and Cannery Row, made famous by John Steinbeck. Carmel is quite pretty and the 17 Mile Drive (fee required) is a terrific drive. It goes right through Pebble Beach Gold Course if you're into that whole golf thing.

From Carmel/Monterey, SF is only a couple hours away. If you've not been to SF before, I recommend a trip over the Golden Gate Bridge to Marin County (where I live). Drive to the top of Mt. Tamalpais and take a hike around the top of the mountain. It offers terrific views of the entire bay area. Hiking in Marin County is terrific as well. Also visit Muir Woods for a look at some old growth redwoods and an informative walk in the woods.

While in SF, be sure to visit Zeitgeist at the corner of Valencia & Duboce streets. Right across the street is Scuderia, who sell KTM and Aprilia and are genuinely nice guys. BMW SF is just around the corner from Zeitgeist and sell some nifty Tshirts, including a nice woodcut of an S bike crossing the Golden Gate Bridge.

And avoid Fisherman's Wharf. Nobody but tourists go there.

For more neat California roads, visit here: http://www.pashnit.com

Best,

Dave

From LV if you head west towards Pahrump through death valley , China Lake, Lake Isabella, Bakersfield, then across to San Luis Obispo then up pacific coast highway to Monterey and then SF.
Its a sceneic route which should`nt be snowed in and you should make decent time.

I`ve never been to Denver.

You still want to be careful crossing Walker Pass. While it's only 4000 feet, it frequently gets freezing rain/sleet/snow in February.

If Walker Pass is snowed/crummy, Tehachapi, a bit further south is a good bet. It's a bigger road and gets more traffic.

Yosi said:
Las vegas to S. francisco to catch the flight back to the Uk. More time this time, 5 days.

Don't like maps? Got a GPS? Like to plan ahead? (Nota Bene: beach access can be a right bummer if you don't have prior knowledge or such round the Malibu to Santa Barbara stretch.)

Try Ken Adelman's giant aerial piccie of well nigh on your whole route.

He took the whole thing with a Fuji S2 on autoshoot whilst trekking the whole way very slow in a Robinson R44.

If you look closely you can count the bikes on Big Sur. Some guys show up twice. As, somewhat mysteriously, do some of Barbara Streisand's blouses on her washing line!

(Remember that fun we had running all the way round the back of the big girls at those old school WidePan photo-opportunities?)

Attachments

• panora cam.jpg
    panora cam.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 170
Yosi said:
For some bizarre and unusual circumstances, I'll have to go by road (van) from Las Vegas (Nevada) to Denver (Colorado) first week of February 2004. I have 2.5 days to make the trip with a fellow driver. Any advice on prefered roads, sights, not to miss, etc?
I'm not sure how old this question is, or if you are still looking for advice. Here's my take. Head out of Vegas on I-15. Get off on UT Hwy 9 north of St George. Go through Zion National Park. COntinue to Hwy 89. Turn North. Take Hwy 89 to UT 12, AKA the best motorcycle road in the US. Spend the night at Ruby's Best Western at Bryce Canyon. From Bryce, head north on 12 to Torrey. It will be difficult to drive, because you will be crying due to the fact you are not on your bike. From Torrey take Hwy 24 east to I-70. Go east on I-70. Get off on Hwy 191 south to Moab. Spend the night in Moab. Go to either Canyonlands or Arches National Park. Both are fantastic. The next day head back to I-70 and go to Denver.

On this trip you will find that there will be long stretches of boring country and short stretches of spectacular scenery. Feel free to go 80+ mph in the boring stretches. Those types of speeds are normally not a problem in the wide open West. Have fun.

Jim Moore
San Diego, CA

Many thanks to all for the advice. Seems that I'm having an idea of what to expect. Lots of fun and a bit of adventuer if snow, sleet, ice, etc. is encountered. At least I'll be in a van with a nice heather!!

AMERICA, HERE WE CAME !!!

BEWARE, TWO MAD ISRAELIS IVADING YOUR ROADS AND TOWNS!!

PROTECT YOUR CHILDRENS, BRING THE ELDERY INSIDE, PREPARE GOOD SHELTERS....

Does "nice Heather" have a nice sister?

Have a great trip Yosi and take care!

Iain

Back
Top Bottom