Trying to get car insurance

King Rat

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Trying to get car insurance is a nightmare. I have just spent about 3 hours fumbling around the internet thing trying to get a quote for Anna's 1.6 Yeti..... I can't get past red boxes on the meercat. What's the secret of filling in these questionaires please? I haven't got to getting a quote yet. We have been with Direct Line on the telephone for years, this year with no changes and an extra year of no claims and no convictions or accidents in a non-crime area (quiet backwater) the renewal has more than doubled. It is quite bizarre and having phoned the renewal line they say that is it and won't budge... so looking to try and buy insurance elsewhere, but how on earth do you get to do it? There are no broker shops to go in anymore.

Maybe I’ve been lucky but I just go to a comparison site, type in the details asked for, look at the quotes and choose the one that suits best (not necessarily the cheapest).

Trying to get car insurance is a nightmare. I have just spent about 3 hours fumbling around the internet thing trying to get a quote for Anna's 1.6 Yeti..... I can't get past red boxes on the meercat. What's the secret of filling in these questionaires please? I haven't got to getting a quote yet. We have been with Direct Line on the telephone for years, this year with no changes and an extra year of no claims and no convictions or accidents in a non-crime area (quiet backwater) the renewal has more than doubled. It is quite bizarre and having phoned the renewal line they say that is it and won't budge... so looking to try and buy insurance elsewhere, but how on earth do you get to do it? There are no broker shops to go in anymore.

NFU Mutual
Real offices, with real people
Should one in Uttoxeter, too

I’ve usually used Compare the Market and, as Monsieur says, look a bit more closely at those which appear best suited. Works ok for me.

I’ve usually used Compare the Market and, as Monsieur says, look a bit more closely at those which appear best suited. Works ok for me.

He’s trying to use ‘Compare the market’ (meerkats)….. talk him through it, please.

Compare the Meerkat was extortionate for me this year, I ended up using Money Supermarket and the best quote came back from Sheilas Wheels.
The only ones to let me insure my car but declare the wife as main user.
Still extortionate for living in a simple Norfolk town.

wOW, THAT IS OUT OF DATE. wE HAVE GOT ALL OUR INSURANCE, HOUSE AND CAR THOUGH tEMPLEDALE FOR DECADES - mARTIN DIED ABOUT 2005 AND HIS DAUGHTER TOOK OVER BUT IT THEN BECAME nATIONWIDE bUILDING sOCIETY, THEY'VE GONE AND BEEN REPLACED WITH A CURTAIN MAKING/TEXTILE PLACE AND THEY'VE CLOSED! i THINK YOUR LINK IS A BIT OUT OF DATE!

do you think your problem on the meerkat website might be that you are shouting at them with your CAPS LOCK ON!

The Google map relies on businesses updating their info when the start or stop trading...

Is it worth another call to DL? I have become a bit of a fanboi for them having had good service from them for some years on car and home including a couple of modest value home insurance claims settled fairly. I generally hate dealing with insurance and call-centres but find DL's phone peeps talk sense and seem to know their products unlike some of the cheaper end of the market manned by call centre chimps on scripts (good or bad name for a band?). DL's premiums even comes down at renewal occasionally. Spidey sense suggests there must be some reason for your increase and if you go through your policy with them you might find out why and how (if possible) to address it. Even if not, you might then be better armed to lock horns with the :eek:online insurance market. Good luck whatever happens.

NFU Mutual
Real offices, with real people
Should one in Uttoxeter, too
Generally not cheap though for the man off the street. Every year I have to threaten to take my business elsewhere until they start talking sense. That said, when you do have to claim I'm always glad I am with them. (y) :)

Trying to get car insurance is a nightmare. I have just spent about 3 hours fumbling around the internet thing trying to get a quote for Anna's 1.6 Yeti..... I can't get past red boxes on the meercat. What's the secret of filling in these questionaires please? I haven't got to getting a quote yet.
It's not really that difficult KR, just take your time, and be truthful and methodical.

Found the problem.... It is my account but Anna as the policy holder. It won't allow me to access her details. I have had to start all over again on my account and then it allows me to ask for her. What a palaver. Meanwhile, I went into the NFU and went through the same scenario, cheaper than Direct Line but not as cheap as the top 5 on Meerkat.

Generally not cheap though for the man off the street. Every year I have to threaten to take my business elsewhere until they start talking sense. That said, when you do have to claim I'm always glad I am with them. (y) :)
I used NFU for my household ins as they have an excellent record for settling claims, whilst I was there I asked about bike ins and was told ‘We don’t want to do motorcycle ins, and it will be very expensive if you really want a quote’. The car insurance quote also raised my eyebrows!

I used NFU for my household ins as they have an excellent record for settling claims, whilst I was there I asked about bike ins and was told ‘We don’t want to do motorcycle ins, and it will be very expensive if you really want a quote’. The car insurance quote also raised my eyebrows!
NFU wouldn’t quote me unless I told them my renewal price with my existing provider.

NFU charge like a Rhino…

Try Adrian Flux, you can call them and talk to a real person… they have just been very helpful to me as a new customer….

NFU charge like a Rhino…

Try Adrian Flux, you can call them and talk to a real person… they have just been very helpful to me as a new customer….

This fellow says, “Flux you” to Adrian Flux….

I agree about Adrian Flux - I won't be using them again. I tried to insure another vehicle with them earlier this year. I made some checks as I wasn't 100% confident that the policy was legit - it turns out they had 'fudged' some answers to the policy questions so I wouldn't have been insured in the event of a claim. I'll be looking elsewhere when this policy expires.

Funny old world.

Back
Top Bottom