Tubes to tubless R1200r classic

Grey Back

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Looking some advice on converting tubed tyres on 2012 r1200r classic to tubless is it possible and what's the process. Plus help with choosing a touring screen.

I have had a tubeless conversion (on a Triumph) done by Central Wheel Components. Note that their process requires a curing time of at least 24 hours. I left the bike with them for a few days and went home to London via a complimentary lift to the nearby train station.

Spokes are sealed and I get no abnormal pressure drop compared to the cast wheels on my BMW. I now carry a "conventional" puncture repair kit. The peace of mind is immeasureable.

The Yankees make the best touring screens.

Look at Madstad, Parabellum, and Ztechnic - but not cheap.

I have had good results with a Givi Airflow (4-point mounting system) , which are cheaper and more readily available over here.

The only glimpse I had of the inside of that rim suggested it had a pattern in it, probably to help it mechanically grip the tyre bead. Tubeless rims inside are smooth to get the best air seal. Also, tubeless wheels generally have an internal lip either side of the central well, designed (I think) to help prevent the tyre coming off the wheel in the event of a deflation. Once the bead of the tyre gets into the central well, it can come off the rim the other side. The lip is there to stop the bead getting into the well.

Geezer of my acquaintence sealed the spokes on his Africa Twin wheels with some clever tape.

Back
Top Bottom