turkey summer 2005

(RIP) john plane

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Any one fancy a three or four week trip to turkey next year.London to vienna, bike camp budapest,romania,bulgaria,turkey gallipoli troy ephesus.etc.

Depending on what pans out in my (near) future, yes.

But it could be a bit hot in the summer, I reckon that May would likely be the best month, or October?

Iain

Hi
Would love to go as i went that way May 2 years ago and enjoyed Turkey very much.Can't make it as i shall be taking in the Americas all going well.
I went in via a small crossing up in the hills from Bulgaria and into Istanbul.Great feeling crossing over that bridge over the Bosperus into Asia Minor.Took the short ferry ride over to Gallipoli.May was good time to go as it seemed i was the only tourist there.

Have a great time !

Simon

turkey 2005

What were the police like in romania and bulgaria like I hear they nick you for speeding even if your not. And pocket the money.

Hello John
Had no problem at all in those two countries.Mind you i did not spend much time there apart from visit to Dracula's castle (not scary at all)and visit to Bucharest.Happens to be a GS owner from uk who lives there and works as the Head chef at the Marriot.
Parked in their secure car park and had tour of Hotel.
In Bulgaria i only spent one night in Varna on the coast (should be photo with this reply of me with copper and his F650.)
Only problem i had was just before the Bulgarian border a couple of Civies walked over to me as i pulled up before border to get passport out.They claimed to be officials and insisted i gave them $30 for the use of the roads in Romania.They had some useless paperwork they thrust towards me.I knew it was a scam when i refused and they knocked it down to $10.The border was actually around the corner and about a mile away.What was ahead of me was a military establishment of some sort that had guards at the barrier.It must fool most tourists i presume as to the reason why these locals set up the scam.
I was fined 2 or 3 times in Turkey for speeding(about £20 a time)
They set up radar as you enter villages. Other time was on an empty Motorway.
Really freindly people the Turks outside Istanbul.You could say that for most capital cities though.

Cheers !

Simon

We're heading there in the most hot time - july and august and if geting Carnet de Passages en Douane then into Iran too visiting a friends.

Margus

Back
Top Bottom