Which disc to use for showing photos on a DVD player?

Monsieur

Most respected and loved member
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Mastered the roxio software, possibly...now what is the best disc to use to burn photos from my laptop and then use in a DVD player attached to a TV?
I've got some DVD-R discs but they seem to be really slow when playing back on a DVD player.

I asked the nice lady from Currys about disc types and ended up buying some DVD-R discs. I've burned about 4gb of photos onto the disc - that part went ok. I can see the photos when I put the disc into my laptop.
However, when I put the disc into a DVD player it says that it is a bad disc and everything stops.
What have I done wrong?
Should I have bought another type of disc?
I used roxio's drag-to-disc to burn the photos.

footnote: just put the disc into my desktop PC but it won't show any of the photos.

Help :confused:

I don't know owt and I don't use roxio but....

I think you should have turned the files into a photo CD not a DVD I think you should down load Kodak photoviewer and use regular CDR

Will have a look I would have imported all the pictures into editing package then burnt that to chaperted DVD so you can set to each picture and hold/ freeze on it.

How old is the hardware... if its less than a year to 18 months it should play, a in they can read .jpg files.

If your DVD player is not DivX compliant then it may not. You can get a new DVD player thats DivX compliant for €35... in France:p

John

Finalize?

Did you finalize the DVD.

If I create DVDs on my laptop or DVD recorder I can always play them back on the one I have just created it on. But if I want to play it back on a different machine, then I have to finalize it so that it can be read on other machines.

Finalize is the term my HDD DVD Recorder uses. Make Compatable is the term used by my laptop software. May be different terms in use. But whatever it is called, you will generally have to take the action to make the DVD readable on other players.

While your computer DVD burner will probably support +_R, -R and dual layer discs, your DVD player may be more fussy.

While most recent players will read both formats it can't be taken for granted. Some makes will only read +R and other only -R. It's gets more complicated as you can burn DVDs with Joliet, UDF and 9660 file systems. While most modern computer burners will burn them all, DVD players probably won't and will want ISO 9660 or UDF and will not support muliti-session discs and will only handle discs recorded with "disc at once" selected.

I make DVDs of training videos and compatibility with clients kit used to be a big problem. Although this is normally a thing of the past I still find clients that need a particular type. Discs are dead cheap these days so keep a stock of both.

Final comment. If you know everything is correct and the disc still won't play in a DVD Player, try burning at a slower speed.

Couple more points

If your DVD player is not DivX compliant then it may not. You can get a new DVD player thats DivX compliant for €35... in France

DivX has nothing to do with playing pics.

I think you should have turned the files into a photo CD not a DVD I think you should down load Kodak photoviewer and use regular CDR

Kodak Photo CD files are a specific format and is not a requirement to get pics on a DVD Player. Most modern DVD Players will support JPEG.

I've got some DVD-R discs but they seem to be really slow when playing back on a DVD player.

What do you mean by really slow? It could just that you have very large JPEGS and the player is taking a while to decode them. If they play at all it is likely that they have burned in the right format but the files just need to be smaller. Your TV will only support 720 horizontal by 576 vertical pixels so try reducing the resolution of the images.

Back
Top Bottom