Clacks , Crunches, or cant get Neutral

I honestly can't believe it will make a hapeth of difference. The reservoir is just that a reservoir of fluid to top up active system if it needs it,

A good example is as your brake pads wear the amount of fluid in the brake system needs to increase to take up the slack in the system.

Generally in a hydraulic clutch the fluid requirement decreases as clutch wears...the mechanical system gets bigger - opsite of brakes.

So what effect removing some of the fluid will have puzzles me..

Traipsed over to Southport again first thing and yep guess what, no difference.
An HP2 rider collared me at a petrol station and wanted to know all about the new bike. I honestly love it and told him all the good stuff, but felt lousy telling him there's gearbox problems, especially as his gearbox is "silky smooth" :tears

Anyone technical on here? How would reducing the reservoir level help?

The only thing that might help is an air space at the top of the reservoir will reduce any chance of the reservoir getting hydraulically locked as the air will compress and a liquid will not, will it make any difference who knows but its a simple task to try so why not.

I know a lot of 990cc Aprilia owners change the oil jet which I believe sits behind the clutch slave cylinder. Aprilias are renowned for uncooperative clutches, hard to find neutrals and a bit clunky!

I didn't get round to changing the jet, but I did upgrade the cylinder with great results.

I've no idea whether the GS has the same set up or whether it would make a jot of difference, but thought it worth mentioning.

The only thing that might help is an air space at the top of the reservoir will reduce any chance of the reservoir getting hydraulically locked as the air will compress and a liquid will not, will it make any difference who knows but its a simple task to try so why not.

if that were to happen then the clutch would slip, so the plates would heat up and possibly warp, which would then lead to drag.

maybe.

gear changes

Hi ,mine has done 2500 miles and getting no better !!!!
finally after e mailing BMW customer services and the dealer they are admitting there are some bikes with this problem, and quote waiting for BMW to come back with a soloution ?
most of my riding is on a or b roads and dread changing gear as each time there is a problem with meshing and clunks .
This Is spoiling a otherwise great bike , also I hope there is going to be no long term damage to the engine due to the engine and gear box using the same oil ,

Mine went back today to the dealers for gearbox issues, brake pads worn out, rubber boot split, varios don't fit.

They have given me this until they sort my bike out.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1373145366.432670.jpg

And the gearbox on the rt is super smooth no clonks clanks or drag, so if the TC RT can have a super smooth box why can't the LC !

Because that RT has a proper dry clutch, unlike the WC GS's wet clutch set up

Beta testers - god love them :)

I'm aware of that having had a TC, my point was is if the TC is super smooth why can't the the LC, the nxt generation bikes are supposedly meant to be better .

However i kind of fully understood in my head when i brought the LC being the 1st production there would be issues, I'm sure they will get everything right as we are the rd testers shame its cost me £15k ! the LC is still a cracking tool and riding the TC today really brought home just how good the new LC is regarding performance.

finally after e mailing BMW customer services and the dealer they are admitting there are some bikes with this problem, and quote waiting for BMW to come back with a soloution ?

A new clutch, then another new clutch with the modified pushrod and then reduction of the hydraulic fluid level. Now back waiting on BM again. They are obviously trying but how long until the next "fix"?
I was reading a German website (using Google translate!) and there are the same problems reported, translation came out as "the gearbox is rustic and agricultural" So it's not just us moaning :blagblah

A new clutch, then another new clutch with the modified pushrod and then reduction of the hydraulic fluid level. Now back waiting on BM again. They are obviously trying but how long until the next "fix"?
I was reading a German website (using Google translate!) and there are the same problems reported, translation came out as "the gearbox is rustic and agricultural" So it's not just us moaning :blagblah

Without doubt it isn't snickety smooth at all times, but there does seem to be a wide variation in user experience. After nearly 3.5k miles mine is now smooth in every gear accept the occasional change through 2nd where I can get a feeling like 2 or 3 cogs have bumped past before settling into the change. Even that is better than I've had on some bikes.

So there must still be a variable element that needs addressing on yours? I hope they find it without too much more time wasted.

I'm about to put 2.5k on a Harley Street Glide in the US, I know the transmission will be no better than my GS.

I'm aware of that having had a TC, my point was is if the TC is super smooth why can't the the LC, the nxt generation bikes are supposedly meant to be better .

However i kind of fully understood in my head when i brought the LC being the 1st production there would be issues, I'm sure they will get everything right as we are the rd testers shame its cost me £15k ! the LC is still a cracking tool and riding the TC today really brought home just how good the new LC is regarding performance.

Fair enough, you'd have thought they would have got it right during the million testing miles with the WC though

Without doubt it isn't snickety smooth at all times, but there does seem to be a wide variation in user experience. After nearly 3.5k miles mine is now smooth in every gear accept the occasional change through 2nd where I can get a feeling like 2 or 3 cogs have bumped past before settling into the change. Even that is better than I've had on some bikes.

So there must still be a variable element that needs addressing on yours? I hope they find it without too much more time wasted.

I'm about to put 2.5k on a Harley Street Glide in the US, I know the transmission will be no better than my GS.

You are right about the Harley box, it Clunks away fine (i have a Streetglide), HOWEVER I never change gear with the tip of My boots, preferring to use the Toe Heel Shifter. This means that going up the box, definite pressure is applied and the same down the box, things are not lightweight and easy buy are always constant, using just the toe to go up the box is diabolical :eek:

I rode the first Demo A&S got in. Up, down, finding neutral and every gear was just junk. Loved it otherwise and will have one once it's sorted. Sounds like maybe 2014 model could be it.

Hi All

My bike does clonk in to first gear but its not as bad as on the Harley ive just sold that would really let you know it was in gear. the trick on the harley was to give it a good rev first with the clutch lever pulled and then it would snick in to gear ok, but tried that on the GS and it makes no difference.

what ive noticed is that when the engine is still cold it goes in to gear really smoothly no clonk at all, then once its warmed up it clonks in but like I said only in first when initially starting off, all gear changes after are fine up and down.

Ive now covered 1200 miles and I think its the best bike ive ever owned it is used daily to commute to work and roll on the weekend so I can go out and play on it. :thumb2

Terry :D

Now with 3200 miles it is even better I have no complaints all changes are smooth its a shame so many of you have had issues / problems but hope you get them sorted as its a cracking bike,

I mostly leave mine in road mode and now and again venture in to dynamic

Terry :thumb2

Mine is the other bike down south. The bike will have the new push rod fitted this Thursday. I was told that they had success in Germany with the new push rod. Well we will see.
SMB

Just got my bike back after the new push rod fitted. Only VERY marginal improvement.

He ho

Spoke to a BMW technical guy at the Garmisch bash about this clutch problem and he said that BMW now know the cure and are currently awaiting new parts from their supplier which will be available to dealers.
I asked what the cause of the problem was and he said there was TOO MUCH oil getting onto the clutch plates which made them stick together. Sounded a load of bol****s to me and I left unimpressed, but hey ho maybe he's right.
My bike has got worse (3000 'ish miles) now. I sometimes put into N (with N showing on the readout) at traffic lights, let go the clutch lever and Wham it lurches forwards and stalls in 1st! You then naturally pull the clutch lever in and press the start button and it either lurches forwards a bit (clutch drag) and starts or just stalls. Frantic moves follow to find N and restart with queues of traffic waiting for the idiot with GB registration to get going!!!!
What are the odds that when my dealer takes a look it'll be...seems ok to us sir.
Ref the bike through the numerous passes in Germany and Austria on the Garmisch bash.....bloody brilliant handling, braking and acceleration. Can't recall ever feeling so secure while hooning. A following biker told me he thought the engine bars were a gnat's cock off the floor on many of the corners.

Back
Top Bottom