Anyone had an indicator switch go on a GS (Solution)

If anyone's thinking of replacing a switch then make sure to order a couple. I managed to ruin one on my first attempt. Got there in the end though thanks to this thread.

Diamond, when you fitted the new microswitch into the original white housing, sealed it and returned it back in the switchgear harness, did it look a bit higher.
I had to remove some of the plastic node on the orange lever as it was permanently engaged. Also, the switch has no tactile feeling when pressing the indicator on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't know if it helps but when I bought some replacement switches for my '05 12GS, it was possible to buy switches with different 'push' strengths, all the same size

Diamond, when you fitted the new microswitch into the original white housing, sealed it and returned it back in the switchgear harness, did it look a bit higher.
I had to remove some of the plastic node on the orange lever as it was permanently engaged. Also, the switch has no tactile feeling when pressing the indicator on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Once changed the switch definitely sits higher, enough that the indicator needs only a light touch to activate it.
Wanted to gauge whether it might 'bed in' before shaving some off of the rear of the indicator button, although it's improved a little I think the button mod will be required.
The action of the switch seems far softer than the OEM one with almost no tactile 'click' much the same as yours which can be a little disconcerting but I'm gradually getting used to it.

Don't know if it helps but when I bought some replacement switches for my '05 12GS, it was possible to buy switches with different 'push' strengths, all the same size

I used the above Ebay link to order mine, they only come in one type.
Do you happen to have a link to the site where you ordered yours?

Interesting tip for those of you (like myself) with non ESA bikes. BMW very kindly included an ESA switch under the blanked out space where the button would have been so you'll not need to buy a switch.
Alas I didn't check first.....

I used the above Ebay link to order mine, they only come in one type.
Do you happen to have a link to the site where you ordered yours?

Diamond, found some info, I bought them from Digikey in the states, ended up buying 10 off on the basis that I would melt a few with crap soldering technique. I had a few left which someone on here bought perhaps 2 years back.

and a spec sheet for the switched that show different push force values

does anyone know where i can source one of these? They seem to be out of production.

OK. so it was too late to change the order .

The switches fro RS came today and were soldered in.

Work well. Still has a bit of a click but not as much as the older switch.

Back
Top Bottom