Steering head bearings and tool 316521

Hustler

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I need to renew my steering head bearings so had a quick flick in the manual and said manual refers to a pin-wrench adaptor tool, BMW number 316521.
Does anyone know if I actually need this tool as it looks as if it is needed to adjust the bearings but I just want to replace them.
I've done a search here but didn't find anything.
It's for a 650GS although it may apply to other models as well, possibly.
Thank you.

Hi,

I've just had an MOT advisory on the head bearings on my F650GS, so was doing a search on here before tackling it. I noticed your thread and wondered if you ended getting this tool or was it not needed?

Thanks in advance for any reply.

- SilverSurferToo

Is that a record? Following up a post that's 10yrs old

And, err...this is the oilhead section. But lots of knowledge in here. Maybe someone knows your answer...or re-post in the right section

Is that a record? Following up a post that's 10yrs old

And, err...this is the oilhead section. But lots of knowledge in here. Maybe someone knows your answer...or re-post in the right section
Oh good grief. Apologies. Was searching by relevance and saw 650 in the text and totally ignored the section. Must remember to check dates as well. I'll make sure I have two coffees before posting again ... especially on a Sunday. [Insert suitably embarrassed emoji here]

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Oh good grief. Apologies. Was searching by relevance and saw 650 in the text and totally ignored the section. Must remember to check dates as well. I'll make sure I have two coffees before posting again ... especially on a Sunday. [Insert suitably embarrassed emoji here]

Don't worry, I'm sure we've all done it at some point .

Good luck getting it sorted

Ten years it's taken to get a response to my question.

Ten years.

I never did find the answer and simply took the bike to a technical person in Cognac, we were living in France at the time, who replaced the bearings and relieved me of 200 euros in the process.

Good luck with your question Silver, but I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for an answer.

And it seems I posted in the wrong section.

Very belated apologies.

The bike in question is the one in my avatar and if you look very closely you might be able to spot a slight notchiness in the bearings.

Ten years it's taken to get a response to my question.

Ten years.

I never did find the answer and simply took the bike to a technical person in Cognac, we were living in France at the time, who replaced the bearings and relieved me of 200 euros in the process.

Good luck with your question Silver, but I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for an answer.

What's really impressive is that you were still watching the thread. That's dedication. I'm guessing that after 10 years that bill will be nearer €400 .... Still, it would be a reason to head south for a few weeks. Cheers sir. Many happy miles of smiles.

And it seems I posted in the wrong section.

Very belated apologies.

The bike in question is the one in my avatar and if you look very closely you might be able to spot a slight notchiness in the bearings.
Now, if that's a recent photo, those have done well! Or maybe I should just run for cover as I'm in enough trouble already.

Back
Top Bottom