Travel insurance, check yours

I use NCI (MCN reccomended ) I have me and the wifey on personal eurpean cover plus bike accident recovery etc---not home start as we live on a mountain:augie. It costs me £140 a year for any vehicle that we are in. May not be the cheapest but they are a bike specific company, who also do cars etc ---NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND::confused:
Hope this helps
Allan:thumb2

im with NFU Mutual

Ideal for us Carrot Crunchers like :D

£50 something pound for a year with no restrictions on vehicles at all :clap

I had his brother-in-law in work today the man is in a state 2 broken arms and a messed up leg, in ICU in a spainish hospital where no one speaks english.
His brother in law is looking for anyone who maybe able to visit him, he's going crazy no one to talk to can't turn the pages of a book or magazine because his arms are too messed up. Europ assist are still refusing to pay for him to get home, the government body who deal with this stuff are they're saying thats it's not in there budget.

So are you going to spain soon? are you in spain now? Are you near Alzira? This man needs someone-anyone to stop him getting cabin fever!

One issue that concerned me when travelling in Europe last year was the issue of getting the bike home if I was injured in a non bike accident. Say for example whilst walking down the road in the evening and you are hit by a car. Neither my bike insurance through Bennets or my travel insurance through Nationwide would have paid to get the bike home although obviously I was covered. This would have then involved me arranging storage of the bike and then transporting it home if i was unwell enough to ride it home. I paid a seperate policy with Carol nash to cover this. Worth considering.

I have just had a very quick look at the AA Travel policy. It has an extension in cover whereby it will pay you, '....reasonable costs and expenses for you to make a direct return to collect the vehicle from overseas, following a whole host of events (too many to list here).....but including....if it is medicaly necessary for you to return to the UK for treatment....'

The important words are, if it is medicaly necessary for you to return to the UK, ie. if you stay abroad, get treated, then fully recover, then the repatriation costs of your bike would not be covered. Nor indeed would they need to be as you could ride the bike home, just as you would have done had you not been ill, injured etc..possible additional charges (changes in ferry costs, say) would be met, so you would not be out of pocket at all.

You may, however, still be faced with costs of looking after the bike whilst you were being treated. You might well be able to argue that the cost of temporary, safe, storing of the the bike, whilst you were treated abroad, is nothing more than a reasonable extra travel expense (which is covered) little different from, say, a hotel room. You might also use the £25 a day hospital payment extension to meet some / all of the storage costs, foregoing the Mars bars or whatever you might otherwise spend the money on.

Whilst it doesn't say so, I guess you may well be able to persuade the insurer that it might be sensible (cheaper) for them to ship the bike home then and there (a one way journey), rather than pay for its secure storage, whilst you underwent perhaps lengthy treatment abroad. Insurers are often more reasonable / sensible than many people think.

For those that might think they will not be in hospital abroad for long. I have a work colleague chum who was in a Swiss hospital for seven weeks, operated on twice and then flown home in a private medical jet with a nurse to hold his hand. The final medical claim was beyond eye watering but only cost him £50 for the excess. Moral is: Don't have a serious compound fracture of your leg and then develop blood clots....regular airlines wouldn't fly him as he had to be strapped flat...and there was a danger of bleeding / additional clotting problems, hence the nurse. Two more op's in the Uk, covered by BUPA, then physio (again BUPA) then a final operation to take some scews out, three years later, again BUPA. Good value this insurance malarky....

just called Norwich Union
they confirmed i am not covered to ride my GSA on holiday
i can ride anything upto 125cc
and i am covered 100% for anything
air ambalance hospital anything
but me and misses on a GSA
not covered
when asked which dick head in Norwich union thought that one up
i got errrrrrrr not sure but thats the rules
so anyone want a top spec GSA
cos its going up for sale and i am gonna get a 125cc
not !!!!!:mcgun

It's not an uncommon exclusion or limitation. Some others put a limit on bikes UNDER 125cc, to stop, I guess, the juiced up crowd hiring mopeds and killing themselves.

If you have just bought the NU policy there is a chance you can cancel it and get all / most / some of your money back. Some travel policies - often sold via call centers - have a number of days 'cooling of period' (providing you haven't had a claim paid). Worth checking instead of shouting, perhaps?

....so.......

Can I take it that the Carole Nash travel Insurane policy, will cover me for any 'bike, and non 'bike related incidents ? Also, they will pick up my 'bike and return it to my home, in the event of a non 'bike related incident ?

Sick of searching.......trying to draw a line under it.........£70.00 ish seems OK wouldn't you say?......:nenau

o.k - here's the details;

O'Connors Insurance -
Greenlea Rd. Dublin 6w.
Ph: 01 492 2222

please mention "MAG Irl." as a reference.

my personal experience;
we've got our Travel Insurance there for years.
am very specific about the tour details...
i'm doing a motorcycle tour! on a motorcycle!:D

the staff are helpful, will give straight answers to any questions and if in doubt will check and phone you back.

~~

tried this outfit today, but unfortunately they only cover bikes up to 125cc, :eek:very pleasent on phone :(

tried this outfit today, but unfortunately they only cover bikes up to 125cc, :eek:very pleasent on phone :(

125c.c. / as much use as a chocolate teapot....
:confused:
Apologies for the misleading info - it's a big suprise to me too.
i am looking into this.
will get back as soon as i know more.

....so.......

Can I take it that the Carole Nash travel Insurane policy, will cover me for any 'bike, and non 'bike related incidents ? Also, they will pick up my 'bike and return it to my home, in the event of a non 'bike related incident ?

Sick of searching.......trying to draw a line under it.........£70.00 ish seems OK wouldn't you say?......:nenau

No idea, read your policy or ask CN, they are your broker after all.

If you are happy with CN's answers then £70 may well be a decent price. It's up to you.

125c.c. / as much use as a chocolate teapot....
:confused:
Apologies for the misleading info - it's a big suprise to me too.
i am looking into this.
will get back as soon as i know more.

not your fault,;) insurance companies change their criteria at the drop of a hat ( or a GS ):spitfire :thumb

insurance

finally settled on Blue Ins. who are tied in with AXA, 24 euros for a single trip in Europe on a 1200cc bike :thumb, very straight forward, paid by visa and down load policy and cert. from an e-mail.:)

Check out Carol Nash for cover on bikes on their Travel Insurance, they allow you toride bike over 125cc.

Just rang Carol Nash for personal cover while on my bike abroad ...

£37 for 4 days in the Pico's just for me ................ :(

Or ........ £101 for 12 months full cover all of Europe , Morocco , Turkey , Egypt and others for Mr's B and myself :bounce1

Also covers all your personall stuff aswell as panniers , riding gear and toys :clap

( SSSSSSSSSH , don't mention Turkey ) :hide

................................ :beerjug:

Me and H leave for our trip 2 January (3 days away). Thought we'd got the medical insurance covered - the documents arrived - luvly jubly, read 'em and there was one point incorrect - called them to advise one of us is OVER 46 years old, not both of us under 46 as the policy said - oh, says they, we don't cover anyone over 46. So it's back to blimmin square one .

I've looked up EVERY insurance company mentioned above and the only one I can actually get a quote for (covering us 365 days, worldwide, on bikes 595cc's, with existing medical conditions, and aged 42 and 50) is with Direct Travle Insurance, who quoted us £478 for the first 197 days, won't cover us while we pass thru UK to attend the Simmer Dim and onto Iceland, then £199 each for the remaining 160 days, so all in all, £878 and not covered for part of the trip.

The rest either only cover you if you live in Ireland and the trip starts and ends there, or only cover you for a short period.

So instead of packing my bike and cleaning the house or at least sat in front of he telly drinking champagne. I'm still sat 'ere searching for insurance.

:spitfire

Yes, but I think it is 5 years not 2.

Mine expires in 2010.

Oh, and I usewww.direct-travel.co.uk When I want motorcycle travel insurance:thumb

Glad I found this link but had to check....

Am I covered whilst riding a motorcycle?

You can travel on a motorcycle over 125cc only when the rider holds a valid licence which lets them ride a motorcycle of over 125cc.

Otherwise, you are only covered to travel on a motorcycle that has been hired abroad if the engine capacity is less than 126cc.

We get our travel insurance from Snowcard which has the added benefit of covering us for diving as well :). I can't remember how much it was but we must have thought it was reasonable or we'd have looked elsewhere.

Kevin

If anyone needs reminding about the real need to buy good Travel insurance before setting off on holiday, have a look at:

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1809992#post1809992

Post #10 shows how easy it is to have a problem. That one didn't come to anything but it might have done and could, just as easily, have occurred slipping on the bath mat or pissed and Dad dancing in the bar. A bust ankle is still a bust ankle, whichever way it happens on holiday.

Post #15 onwards shows what can really happen and hints at the real problems you WILL face if you have no (or the wrong sort) of insurance.

Then, if anyone is still in any doubt, have a look at: http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113284&page=2

+1 For Post Office. Motorcycling is "not considered a hazardous activity" as long as you have a licence and are wearing a helmet. Never had to claim but no CC limit. Is similar price to most others. :thumb2

Travel Insurance

I was with Nationwide travel insurance till this year.
When I got the renewal notice, it mentioned changes in policy, but not regarding motorcycle use.
When I checked up, they had moved the goalposts & now exclude any motorycling over 125cc.
Just a caution for those who renew without checking policy thoroughly
Myke

Back
Top Bottom