Travel insurance, check yours

Egg travel insurance covers medical costs if you were riding a bike (no capcity limit , but licenses and helmet needed etc.)

Handy for casual hires abroad. Bike recovery etc for a "take-your-own-bike" holiday is another subject !

Most travel policies that we sell have the 125cc exclusion BUT you need to read it carefully to see exactly what is being said .....

"Not Covered:
You motorcycling, as either the driver or passenger of a motorcycle which is more than 125cc UNLESS the driver holds a current licence which allows them to ride a motorcycle of more than 125cc"

Most folks stop reading after the first sentence - most polices will cover you if you hold a licence to ride bigger bikes. This clause is to stop non bikers hiring a dirty great 1200 on their hols in Greece if they only have a car licence.

This is an extract from a policy underwritten by Fortis Insurance.

just sorting a policy with http://www.direct-travel.co.uk/

says this in there t&c

General exclusions
you travelling on a motorcycle over 125cc, unless the rider holds a valid licence which lets them ride a
motorcycle of more than 125cc;

to me means im covered

hello guys.
just want to know? i have hsbc plus card.they give travel insurance with.

i am going 2maro to italy..hope its work?

any advice if its not good one..

2nd thing i apply one from ehic.org website.. for EU ehic card month ego. and i pay also around 10£.

but still no ans from ehic. i mail also...still no ans.any advice?

thanks in advance.

arun

hello guys.
just want to know? i have hsbc plus card.they give travel insurance with.

i am going 2maro to italy..hope its work?

any advice if its not good one..

2nd thing i apply one from ehic.org website.. for EU ehic card month ego. and i pay also around 10£.

but still no ans from ehic. i mail also...still no ans.any advice?

thanks in advance.

arun

Bit late now but I think the HSBC Plus built in travel insurance excludes motorcycling, on bikes over 125cc....

Their Premier account policy certainly excludes it, or it did the last time I looked.....

Alliance Insurance

Wessie,

Thank you for that, a very useful piece of information.

Regards,

John:clap

I was just scrabbling round trying to find some insurance, I found out that BMW do travel insurance. I thought surely they wouldn't exclude all those people that are riding their bikes all over the world so I gave them a call. Guess what, they don't cover it either. :nenau

Re-Travel Insurance,Check Yours

Hello Nud1e..!!!

Thank you so much sir for your kind information....Your information really shocked me when i gone through this forum..Actually me and my 3 friends have decided to go on Bike trip for 2 weeks in the coming month of November....Like others we have also taken the Travel Insurance,but we have no knowledge about the travel insurance that it also depends upon the CC of the bike....This is really a blow for me as there is no enough time remains for our trip...Now i have to plan again from the beginning......Thanks again for alerting us.....!!!!
:tarka:stopbeing

With Regards,
Tom Ruderr.

I changed my bank account last year and it came with free travel insurance amongst other things. Handy i thought til i looked through the policy which stated ' only up to 125cc' :blast.

Just recieved an update to the policy which says ' Any capacity motorcycle if its the main mode of transport for the holiday'. Bike hire still limited to 125cc. Gave them a quick call just for piece of mind and yes im now covered :JB:JB.

I had problems getting cover for bikes over 125cc, it seems many will happily let a pissed up teenager in shorts and T-Shirt ride a 125cc death-ped, yet not cover an older rider with full licence wearing correct attire to ride his own familiar bike.

Insurance companies are all part of the financial services industry, run by the old boys network and therefore full of ignorant dickheads who make the rules.

I have same problem with diving, if your some sort of knob with no diving qualifications but decide to "give it a go" your covered to 20M, as a fully qualified Advanced Open Water Diver you would not be covered at 21M.

Try finding an annual policy for motorcycling and diving beyond 20M, it is bloody impossible.

Also watch out for breakdown insurance that only covers breakdowns, many of the free ones thrown in with insurance policies will only cover a breakdown and not an accident, so if you drop your bike they will not recover it.

I always phone and ask specifically about what I am doing, and make a note of the time of call and person I spoke to, one representative said of course they cover accidents on the breakdown policy, I had to ask him to check as I wanted a gaurantee and he called back a few minutes later and told me in fact it did not.

I use Carole Nash for bike + recovery and have been using Insure and Go for holidays, but have to take out seperate policy for each trip as it is the only way to get the Motorcycling added on.

[snip]Try finding an annual policy for motorcycling and diving beyond 20M, it is bloody impossible.[snip]

As I said near the top of the thread, Snowcard will cover motorcycling and diving (down to 'mix depths).

We've had cover with them for a few years and they flew SWMBO home because of a broken rib when we had a slow speed tumble in Brasov earlier in the year.

Kevin

Back
Top Bottom