Travel insurance, check yours

As I said near the top of the thread, Snowcard will cover motorcycling and diving (down to 'mix depths).

We've had cover with them for a few years and they flew SWMBO home because of a broken rib when we had a slow speed tumble in Brasov earlier in the year.

Kevin

snowcard even cover idiots prepared to get in an ex-army helicopter in Russia, attempt to fly to the top of a mountain, and snoboard down frm the top if they get there or the site of the helicopter crash

Merry Xmas to you & yours, Kev.

I have Direct-line travel insurance, they charged me a few quid extra to cover Motorcycle as main means of travel and specifically allowed motorbikes over 125cc.

I also am insured with Direct Line, and previously was engaged in correspondence with them re motorcycle cover. Long story short, some call centre person told me I was not covered for over 125cc, eventually got letter confirming that I was covered on any m/c as long as full licence / helmet etc., No cost asked for.....

I also am insured with Direct Line, and previously was engaged in correspondence with them re motorcycle cover. Long story short, some call centre person told me I was not covered for over 125cc, eventually got letter confirming that I was covered on any m/c as long as full licence / helmet etc., No cost asked for.....

Just shows you can get inaccurate info from call centres.
I too am with Directline and was told the 125cc rule only applies to 'Excursions and Activities'. In other words if you hire a bike bigger than 125cc then you are not covered but if you travel on your own bike then you are covered regardless of engine size.

Since someone has revived this old thread, just thought I'd give David Grist and HC Travel a plug. They were kind enough to donate cover for our Moscow to Moscow ride through their new internet-based motorcycle-specific travel insurance company, www.bikerstravelinsurance.co.uk.

Worth a look if you're off on a bike trip. :thumb2

But, only if you're on one of their trips, unless it's changed.

But, only if you're on one of their trips, unless it's changed.

No. This is a new dedicated bikers' travel insurance company. They covered us on our 6,500-mile charity ride ... and we were definitely not on an HC Travel trip. Do look them up if you need specific bike cover for a non-standard trip.

No. This is a new dedicated bikers' travel insurance company. They covered us on our 6,500-mile charity ride ... and we were definitely not on an HC Travel trip. Do look them up if you need specific bike cover for a non-standard trip.

From their policy document - it seems that if you are not travelling on an organised trip you're not covered offroad - I couldn't find a definition of off road but when I talked to them previously our trip to Morocco pistes wouldn't have been covered

"EXCLUSIONS APPLICABLE TO SECTION B1, B2 and B3
The Insurer shall not pay for any claim:
1. arising from the Insured Person being on a motorcycle that is being ridden offroad unless the Insured Person is with a licensed operator"

From their policy document - it seems that if you are not travelling on an organised trip you're not covered offroad - I couldn't find a definition of off road but when I talked to them previously our trip to Morocco pistes wouldn't have been covered

"EXCLUSIONS APPLICABLE TO SECTION B1, B2 and B3
The Insurer shall not pay for any claim:
1. arising from the Insured Person being on a motorcycle that is being ridden offroad unless the Insured Person is with a licensed operator"

A valid point regarding "off-road" riding. But I think you would find the same exclusions in most of the other policies mentioned in this thread.

ETA - Out of interest, which company did you use for your Moroccan trip?

A valid point regarding "off-road" riding. But I think you would find the same exclusions in most of the other policies mentioned in this thread.

ETA - Out of interest, which company did you use for your Moroccan trip?

It is hard to find off road cover. We used WorldWide Travel Insure, but this year switched to M&S Money travel insurance which have no exclusions for either motorbike or off road use, and were very efficient in processing a claim - Mrs Berin left her Kindle (that was a present from me:mad:) on a plane and they paid up without quibble.

Also, in terms of holiday or personal accident insurance, Harrison Beaumont might be worth asking.

Looking through the various lists of activities covered they do include "off road driving", "rallying" and "motorcycling for bikes of >50cc". The list doesn't actually include offroad motorcycling, but we took out standalone personal accident insurance with them for BMW's ORS course in 2009.

Bikers Travel Insurance

www.bikerstravelinsurance.co.uk

I have found the Bikers Travel Insurance Standard Policy gives very wide annual multi trip cover worldwide including USA up to 30 days any one trip but you can pay more to extend the cover period. I used it to rent a bike in the USA in October to cover cancellation, emergency medical repatriation and expenses plus motorcycle apparel and most important Personal Liability and Legal Expenses.
I am glad to say I made no claim so cannot comment on this aspect.:p
The policy also covers many other activities such skiing, sailing, bungee jumping, kayaking, safari travel, track day, hiking, scuba diving and even shark cage diving, white water rafting and overland travel. It gives a really wide range of cover for multiple trips/activities and IMHO is good value for money. Last year my skiing insurance alone was about £100.00
For fellow Senior Bikers they do cover folks over 60 :rob
They are very helpful and happy to talk over the options.
Don't forget to check and update your European Health Insurance Card :blast
I hope this helps

SGR

www.bikerstravelinsurance.co.uk

I have found the Bikers Travel Insurance Standard Policy gives very wide annual multi trip cover worldwide including USA up to 30 days any one trip but you can pay more to extend the cover period. I used it to rent a bike in the USA in October to cover cancellation, emergency medical repatriation and expenses plus motorcycle apparel and most important Personal Liability and Legal Expenses.

Be VERY CAREFUL what you might be suggesting.

A very quick look at Bikers Travel policy on their website shows quite clearly one very plain and important EXCLUSION relating to Personal Liability:

Section F Personal liability.

EXCLUSIONS APPLICABLE TO SECTION F

The Insurer shall NOT pay for any claim arising out of:

1. the ownership, possession or use of any aircraft, yachts or mechanically propelled vehicle including watercraft.

In short: A motorcycle is a mechanically propelled vehicle, your third party liability arising from your use of it is NOT covered.

That is a very standard EXCLUSION under most 'off the shelf' policies. The reason, why? Because conventional motor insurance in most / all countries covers your legal liability, just as it does in the UK.... So, if you go to America, you will need to buy American motor insurance to ride your bike, just as a septic coming to the UK would have to.

Other than that, the Liability section is near enough standard and much as you would see under any run'o'the mill Travel policy.

==========

The Legal Expenses cover is nothing special and is available under most bog standard Travel insurance.

===========

ONE VERY BASIC RULE OF THUMB:

Be very wary of any policy sold or branded as 'Biker friendly' / 'Made for bikers' or some such bollox.... Very few, if any, are.

SECOND VERY BASIC RULE:

Read the policy, carefully. They are always written in very plain English.

Be VERY CAREFUL what you might be suggesting.

A very quick look at Bikers Travel policy on their website shows quite clearly one very plain and important EXCLUSION relating to Personal Liability:

Section F Personal liability.

EXCLUSIONS APPLICABLE TO SECTION F

The Insurer shall NOT pay for any claim arising out of:

1. the ownership, possession or use of any aircraft, yachts or mechanically propelled vehicle including watercraft.

In short: A motorcycle is a mechanically propelled vehicle, your third party liability arising from your use of it is NOT covered.

That is a very standard EXCLUSION under most 'off the shelf' policies. The reason, why? Because conventional motor insurance in most / all countries covers your legal liability, just as it does in the UK.... So, if you go to America, you will need to buy American motor insurance to ride your bike, just as a septic coming to the UK would have to.

Other than that, the Liability section is near enough standard and much as you would see under any run'o'the mill Travel policy.

==========

The Legal Expenses cover is nothing special and is available under most bog standard Travel insurance.

===========

ONE VERY BASIC RULE OF THUMB:

Be very wary of any policy sold or branded as 'Biker friendly' / 'Made for bikers' or some such bollox.... Very few, if any, are.

SECOND VERY BASIC RULE:

Read the policy, carefully. They are always written in very plain English.
Thanks for that. Yes I also did take out the legally required third party motor liability insurance with the rental company. So where can you buy this cover for a round the world trip?
SGR

Reminder.

Check renewal date on your European Health Insurance card

Millions of travellers will find that their European Health Insurance card is due for renewal at the end of this month. The Department of Health is urging holidaymakers to check and renew their EHIC before they travel, so check the renewal date on the front of your card.

Apply for an EHIC

Those of you that have not applied for a European Health Insurance card then please do without delay; it’s free and only takes five minutes of your time to apply. The card is usually delivered within 7 days, so you really have no excuse.

You are putting your health at risk and the EHIC gives you access to reduced or free healthcare within the European Union and some countries outside that have reciprocal health arrangements with the United Kingdom. Check the NHS website for more information. Avoid sites that charge a fee. It's free at NHSdirect.
SGR

Just shows you can get inaccurate info from call centres.
I too am with Directline and was told the 125cc rule only applies to 'Excursions and Activities'. In other words if you hire a bike bigger than 125cc then you are not covered but if you travel on your own bike then you are covered regardless of engine size.

I've been looking at travel insurance for my upcoming US trip and the Directline policy does now cover motorcycles provided you wear a helmet and the rider holds a full UK licence.

2. Exclusions
A. We will not pay for any loss under this policy in connection with or caused in any way by:
8. you using a two-wheeled motor vehicle as a rider or a passenger unless you are wearing a helmet, and unless the rider holds a full UK motorcycle licence;

http://www.directline.com/pdf/travel/t723_1211_web_pdf.pdf

Seems pretty good VFM at £110 for a Worldwide policy for a couple :confused:

Travel Insurance

I booked my travel insurance with Direct line last year for the U.S . told them I was riding a 1200 gs .Policy arrived stating only covered for bikes up to 125 cc.
phoned Direct line who clearly stated I would not be covered for public liability or medical cover . I did mange to get a policy through J S Insurance which cost 60% more and turned out to be totally useless when i did need it.

The policy wording is quite clear IMHO (refer to policy in the link in my original post) and it is only the travel insurance included in their Household Plus policies which prohibits bikes over 125cc.

Many people deeply regret not taking out travel insurance. They think their credit card accident cover, home insurance, or private health cover is sufficient.

Back
Top Bottom