Travel insurance, check yours

nud1e

Reaction score
Joe Duffy Radio 1 - Wednesday 1/8/07

Carlow biker seriously injured in Spain, in hospital and family told that his travel insurance only for bikes up to 125cc, so he is not covered as he was riding a 750cc. Bills in excess of €18,000 to date, and will require an air ambulance.

I've checked my travel insurance and I'm covered. Have you checked yours? Does your medical insurance cover you?

Have you an E111 card - "If you require urgent treatment, it will only be provided free of charge in a public ward at a public hospital. Show your E111, European Health Insurance Card or Temporary Replacement Certificate. If you fail to do this, you will be charged as a private patient and will not get your money back. Warning: Under the strict terms of the Spanish Health Service, refunds of private patient charges are not made. Make sure you have private medical insurance in case you are treated in an emergency in a private hospital."

Unfortunately, this is the 2nd case of an insurance company playing the 125cc exclusion card reported here in recent weeks.

The topic has been covered in many threads. Do a search to find the names of companies that will cover you whilst riding a motorcycle over 125cc.

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/search.php?searchid=982317 finds most of them.

Thanks for the guidance.. The E11 has been replaced by the European Health Insurance Card, which you can apply for online, here: http://www.ehic.ie/

It's good for two years, and then needs to be renewed..

From the Irish site:
EHIC.ie said:
Will I need to apply for a new Card each time I go abroad?
No. Your Card will be valid for up to 2 years.
Mine expired in 2006, which is why I'm doubly grateful for the reminder..

Travel Ins.

Check out Carol Nash for cover on bikes on their Travel Insurance, they allow you toride bike over 125cc.

dont want to "advertise":rolleyes: - but FWIW i always use a broker in Dublin, that does FULL cover - exactly what you need when on a bike tour.

cover includes pannier contents and loss / damage to leathers etc.

p.m. me for contact details. / (i'll ask a Mod later if i can post his details online)

oh - cost for me and Mrs Og - 3 weeks in France, Spain, U.K. (just returned:)) was €35:thumb2

me and Mrs Og - 3 weeks in France, Spain, U.K. (just returned:)):thumb2

And welcome back. 'Twas very quiet here without ya :D

How was it ? Warmer, drier & cheaper that here, I'll bet :thumb2
And I'll bet your write up is ready b4 mine !

Marks & Spencer, plus the Post Office - both cover for unlimited bike size.

Post Office slightly cheaper, but I renewed with M & S. Policy booklet is very clear :thumb2

(think it was £65 for the year)

Al :thumb

Got to be careful, mine EXCLUDES motorcyling under 125cc. For some reason, that's ranked alongside Gliding, Hot Air Ballooning, Jet Skiing, Sailing, Snowmobiling, Wake Boarding, Windsurfing, Water Skiing, War Games, Sailboarding, Paintballing, Jetboating, Go-Carting, Farm Work (including sheep shearing) & Clay Pigeon Shooting. Mostly sounds like my ideal holiday, with the exception of the Farm Working bit :)

Churchill Travel

It appears to be included provided that you have a full UK Driving Licence and you wear a helmet. I checked to see if there were any other exclusions - they say none.

Therefore it appears that they are not covering people who hire and ride a 'scooter' while on holiday. They do an old f..rt for annual £94. or 144 days away.
Gramps

dont want to "advertise":rolleyes: - but FWIW i always use a broker in Dublin, that does FULL cover - exactly what you need when on a bike tour.
cover includes pannier contents and loss / damage to leathers etc.
p.m. me for contact details. / (i'll ask a Mod later if i can post his details online)
oh - cost for me and Mrs Og - 3 weeks in France, Spain, U.K. (just returned:)) was €35:thumb2
Og
whats the Score wey the details ,

Proper Travel Insurance!

o.k - here's the details;

O'Connors Insurance -
Greenlea Rd. Dublin 6w.
Ph: 01 492 2222

please mention "MAG Irl." as a reference.

my personal experience;
we've got our Travel Insurance there for years.
am very specific about the tour details...
i'm doing a motorcycle tour! on a motorcycle!:D

never a problem.
very reasonable price.
all the important details are covered.
such as...
the panniers and the contents.
the helmets.
the leathers.
the obvious too!

the staff are helpful, will give straight answers to any questions and if in doubt will check and phone you back.

i've no connection etc. etc. / just a happy customer.
hope this helps someone.
:thumb2
~~

NOT COVERED

just called Norwich Union
they confirmed i am not covered to ride my GSA on holiday
i can ride anything upto 125cc
and i am covered 100% for anything
air ambalance hospital anything
but me and misses on a GSA
not covered
when asked which dick head in Norwich union thought that one up
i got errrrrrrr not sure but thats the rules
so anyone want a top spec GSA
cos its going up for sale and i am gonna get a 125cc
not !!!!!:mcgun

Getting the bike home

One issue that concerned me when travelling in Europe last year was the issue of getting the bike home if I was injured in a non bike accident. Say for example whilst walking down the road in the evening and you are hit by a car. Neither my bike insurance through Bennets or my travel insurance through Nationwide would have paid to get the bike home although obviously I was covered. This would have then involved me arranging storage of the bike and then transporting it home if i was unwell enough to ride it home. I paid a seperate policy with Carol nash to cover this. Worth considering.

I had a bad off at beginning of July on holiday in Scotland. Won't go into too much detail here as this is a GS site,,(look at the name to have a clue).:augie

Friday at about 1.30 on the A99, 25 miles from John o' Groats. Accident. :spitfire Police, ambulance,the works. Tried Carol Nash on Saturday morning to retrieve my bike.A slight bit of confusion(Saturday Staff),:confused: was told I may not be covered to get me home,call back Monday.

Monday morning 8.30 sat by 'phone and told them what had happened and as neither me nor "her" were capable of riding home, can I have a lift.?:bounce1

Sure enough after I was ready and 'phoned them again, recovery truck turned up and drove both of us and bike 540 miles in 12 hours, stopping for occasional food and drink.,:bow, I hadn't had the extra insurance. Only trouble is bike is fooked nad I only had 3rdPFT.:tears

HTH

Pat

BMW Ins

called them
all gone home @ 5.30
just wanted to know where they stand
if i end up in hospital or somthing
you know back brake fails down to disc
only joking BMW have great back brakes
will advise after sat am:jibber

Back
Top Bottom