Skye's visit to Skye

skyenet

Reaction score
GOVERNMENT WEALTH WARNING - This post may contain pictures of a BMW R1200GS which can cause R100GS, R1100GS & R1150GS owners to have uncontrolable urges to upgrade their bike. :augie

My eight year old daughter, SKYE, was named after the island (much to the annoyance of my ex-inlaws :rob ) and I thought the SKYE PAIRTY would be a great opportunity for her to eventually visit her namesake Island.

After getting Royal approval from H.R.H. OONYACK and H.R.H. Nashskye for our visit the packing began.

MidgeEquipment.JPG

Some further modifications were needed to our riding gear to prepare us for the journey North in Midge infested lands :cool:

EnduroNet.JPG

We had planned on leaving on the Friday and heading straight to Skye but some sunny weather saw us packed and ready to leave by midday Thursday

BMWPacked1.JPG

Called into BMW at Bishopbriggs for a cup of coffee (based on a value of £0.50 a cup I only have another 18,000 odd to go and my bike will have actually been free :beer: )

Staff waved us off on the next leg of our trip which took us through the great Dukes Pass which was dry and sunny. No traffic so a good run along it, even weighed down with all our gear. From there we headed up to Tyndrum where I was going to show all the bikes parked outside the Green Welly. Ended up we were parked by ourselves. :confused:

Treated ourselves to a couple of ice creams and watched the traffic go by.

GreenWelly1.JPG

From there we headed up to Fort William. I had made a mental note where G.C.s place was and after a few minutes we were pulling up outside the Ben Nevis Inn were we were greeted by quite a few other Tossers. Parked the bike and as Skye was hungry (what's new!!!!) we managed to get a table. We had just finished our tasty meal as the other came in to sit down for their meal. Shep relaxed with a newspaper which spontaneously combusted. We decided that was probably a good time to go on the hunt for a campsite.

ON the other side of the river we got fixed up with a pitch at the Ben Nevis camp site. Nice and clean site and soon had the tent up and Skye settled watching Still Game. Plenty pitter patter of raindrops through the night so getting up was postponed till the rain eased off. We eventually left Fort William around 1pm and headed to Skye. Roadworks made it a slow haul for the first stretch. Some odd hitchhickers Did anyone else spot the three guys dressed in old fashioned black velvet suits with top hats, what were they all about?? Once on the A87 we made good progress. We were joined by Mike on his 1200 Adventure. By the time we reached Kyle of Lochalsh, Skye was hungry again. Lost Mike in the one way system and ended up having a very tasty bacon buttie in the cafe beside the carpark. We then headed over the Bridge and into Skye.

Enjoyable run up through Broadford and then on via the lovely sweeping coastal road before arriving at Portree where we took the road towards Dunvegan. We spotted the Waternish signpost and before long were on a single track road nearing the end of our journey. We spotted the campiste in the distance and headed down to Stein. Skye decided that she would have Crazy Frog playing through our speakers for our arrival. Not quite sure how that went down with some of the locals. Within minutes we were greeted by Tash from one of the Royal Limos. We followed her up to Castle Oonyack where we had been granted Royal permission to erect our tent within the grounds. Skye quickly made friends with the Royal dog and while she occupied it I got the tent up.

Later we jumped on the bike and headed down to Stein to meet the others and get some food. The food was excellent and we went for another run on the bike exploring Waternish. The Royal Taxi then took us to the Ceilidh which was the first time Skye had been to one. It looked like half the Island was there and as if that is what they did every weekend. We later found out that the last Ceilidh was about a year before that. Skye was pleased to win a special Vase in the raffle thanks to a tciket bought for her by Tuned :thumb2

Next morning I eventually managed to get Skye on the move and after topping up with petrol at Dunvegan, I coaxed her Northwards to return to a walk I had done years ago up to the Quirang. She needed some bribery with a bacon roll first in Uig where she managed to pick up a SKYE baseball cap. We climbed up into the mountains and before long we were parked ready to head for the Quirang.

SkyeQuirangBMW1.JPG

IainQuirangBMW1.JPG

and off we go, Skye complete with her new baseball cap.

SkyeQuirang1.JPG

SkyeQuirang2.JPG

SkyeQuirang3.JPG

the sheep found it easier to climb than we did in trainers and motorcycle boots

QuirangSheep.JPG

quirang.jpg

After getting back to the bike and the chance of a photo of the two of us we headed to get some supplies in Portree.

SkyeIainQuirangBMW.JPG

The "A" road down to Portree was so fast, smooth and wide in places and then the next minute you were on a single track road

While getting supplies in Portree I managed to loose my bike keys. :blast kept retracing my steps and emptying my pockets but no sign. Skye was starting to panic and I was gald to see the freindly face of Novice come round the corner. He reassured Skye that all would be well and he said that he would check back on us after we checked out the Police station in case they had been handed in. What a relief to be asked to describe the keys in the Police station and then to have them pulled out of a drawer. Spare plastic key is now carried with me all the time.

We still managed to arrive back in time to catch the end of the Gala day

SkyeGalaDay.JPG

See Gala Day thread for more photos

More of our adventure to come soon :thumb2

Iain & Skye

The rest of the adventure

After the Gala day we had another excellent meal. Grizzly offered Skye the chance to taste some fish dishes but she managed to get it near her nose and gave up on the tasting. Once we were fed and watered to Royal Limos ferried us to the Disco/Ceilidh. Excellent laugh and Kaycee kept us all going at our table. Once he had hit the dance floor there was no stopping him. He never did manage to get Skye up to dance, but then I didn't manage it either.

Kaycee.JPG

Disco1.JPG

Disco2.JPG

Disco3.JPG

Disco4.JPG

Disco5.JPG

Disco6.JPG

Disco7.JPG

Disco9.JPG

They don't dance round handbags in Skye, far better dancing around burgers

Burgers.JPG

Skye won a very tasty cake in the raffle thanks to tickets bought by BigJets :thumb2

Disco8.JPG

Raffle.JPG

After a great night I got a tired wee girl back to her tent. Was quite funny during the night as I would wake up and find she had slide a bit further down the tent each time. Quick tug on her sleeping bag and she was back up in place. A wet night but we were warm and cosy and it was great staying in the castle grounds as Skye was able to go and play while I got the packing all done.

Tent.JPG

Tosser leaving called in on their way home to say cheerio to Johnny and Tash and we saw quite a few folk knighted. Skye was all for staying another week but I could see that while Johnny and Tash had thoroughly enjoyed hosting the weekend they were in need of some well earned peace and quiet.

CastleOonyackistan1.JPG

CastleOonyackistan1.JPG

Ronno gets fitted out in his Raffle prize

RonnoRaffle.JPG

We set off around midday and a had a wet run down to Portree, after that it wasn't as bad.

Sadly we left the island after a great weekend

SkyeBridge.JPG

Our hopes of another Bacon buttie in Kyle of Lochalsh didn't go according to plan as the cafe was shut. Still got another few photos.

BMWKyle.JPG

SkyeKyleBMW.JPG

SkyeKyle.JPG

IainKyle.JPG

We then headed down the A87. At Eilean Donan Castle we had to stop for the obligatory photo shoot

SkyeIainCastle1.JPG

BMWCastle4.JPG

BMWCastle3.JPG

SkyeIainCastle2.JPG

SkyeCastle2.JPG

SkyeCastle3.JPG

IainCastle1.JPG

After a while we headed East again. few miles further on, while topping up with petrol, we saw Tuned go by. Minutes later an Ambulance went flying Eastwards. Ten minutes later we came accross the Ambulance again which was attending a head on smash. Later found out the following :2 At 1305 hours at Cluanie, a collision occurred between two vehicles, one containing a party of 4 adults and the other a Swiss male. Serious injury was sustained by members of the party, one of whom was transferred to Raigmore Hospital, Inverness by Air Ambulance, the remainder being conveyed by road. Injuries are not thought to be life threatening. The Swiss man is appearing at court in relation to this matter.

When you see head on smashes between cars it makes you think what would happen if you were on a bike coming round a corner to meet a tourist on the wrong side of the road. Glad I have my British Red Cross refresher course next week. The British Red Cross have kindly waived the fee as they used a story of me attending a wee boy knocked down within five minutes of completing my last first aid course three years ago. By the way folks if you can get First AId course through using your ILA account (in Scotland only I think)

We were making good pace and Skye was now fast asleep so no more "How Far is It". Certainly helps keep my riding smooth. She slept most of the way to Fort William. Another food stop and then we were on our way again. A quick photo shoot at a very wet and midge infested Glencoe

Glencoe1.JPG

Glencoe2.JPG

Glencoe3.JPG

Glencoe4.JPG

After that it was an Ice Cream stop at the Green Welly again

To finish off an excellent riding weekend taking in some of the best roads in Scotland at Tarbet I headed over to Arrochar to take in the A814 Loch Long road to Faslane. It was a bit damp but still great fun. Skye said it was just like being on a Rollercoaster and loved it. No wonder I used to spend so much time on it years ago when I was based at Faslane.

A great weekend which we will remember for years to come. Many thanks to Johnny and Tash and all Tossers and locals for making it such a success. Roll on the next one.

Great write up and photos, Skyenet.

Hopefully by now you know what "pogoing" is all about. If not see "Tune-in"'s Oonyackistan National Anthem thread.

Hopefully next year I'll be able to bring my laddie up with me, and with him being a good bit younger than me, he'll be able to get Skye up for a bop around the dance floor.

Kaycee

PS Didn't realise, that I was going that thin "on top"...

Lovely write up Ian. Photos really capture the whole wkd:thumb2 What a good Dad you are, it's so nice to see a Dad taking the time out to be with his wee one:) PM me your address so I can send something to Skye - she's a terrific girl:thumb Just sorry I didn't get the time to take her out with Cocoa, next time!

Teriffic write up and made me even more envious I missed the weekend:eek:

I especially like the pic of Skye in her new baseball cap, fantastic shot and great view.

Top Man.

AndyT:thumb2

Great write up and photos!

I am glad your story didn't involve having to get a lift on the back of my bike :D ... that would have been a real horror story

A great report and good to see the pair of you enjoying yourselves.

It was good to meet you both - see you there again next year.

Bob.

Two words guarenteed to give Skye nightmares for years to come =

DAD DANCING !!!!

:)Excellent report, what a joy to have your wee one with you and enjoying the company of her dad and others.:thumb

excellent post

fabulous post .. absolutely brilliant
m

Back
Top Bottom