How to make a Canbus GPS cable for a 1200GS

I Jury rigged the lead up to my Garmin 2610 cable, found and released the plug by the headstock no probs, connected everything up and hey presto .... nothing .. no sign of life from the Garmin .. worked ok direct wired to the battery .. does the plug wire differently to the Zumo in the thread or have I got a duff cable??

Without wishing to insult, you do know the headstock connection goes off with the ignition? This is one of the drawbacks in that it turns off the GPS even when you've only stopped to, say, fill up.

None taken Hookster!
Yes I do know the power goes off with the ignition, getting the lead tested tomorrow. Wired direct to battery again and all is good, so must be the lead or somewhere else in the loom from the plug end. Think I'll leave it connected to the battery, can't be arsed with all the messing about.
Cheers

Cambus

Nice one stumpy I am not the best at electrics but this took me 45 mins with your help the most difficult part was finding the plug under the beak.
Bahnstormer new the part without the number cost about £8.50 no probs
Job done

Hey gents, I want to hook up both my Garmin and my Aux lights to the canbus, is it as simple as this picture I made? Connecting and soldering both accessory "reds" to the canbus "red" and both "blacks" to the canbus "black"? Depicted here I made the canbus black, the GPS red, and the aux lights blue, just for clarity of looking at the connection. Simply.. does this work or am I looking at connecting it all the wrong way?

canbus.jpg

Thank you

Just fitted my GPS following your instructions; brilliant!! It was really difficult to find the socket, I eventually found it just at the back of the headlamp unit (09 model). Thanks again.

Just fitted my GPS following your instructions; brilliant!! It was really difficult to find the socket, I eventually found it just at the back of the headlamp unit (09 model). Thanks again.

Can you post pictures of the place where you found it?
Best regards.

I had a quick look for the connector socket (on a 2008 R1200GS) and found a socket near the horn (as described elsewhere). The only problem is it seems to be a 2 pin socket instead of the expected 3 pin socket - is this what I should be using to get some power to my new Zumo 660 (assuming it ever arrives)?

Cheers

Jason

Never mind - had another look and found the three pin GPS power socket. Still not sure what the two pin one does - may have a look with a voltmeter if I can be bothered - I will have plenty of time while waiting for Garmin to get the new Zumo out of the warehouses

Got my satnav plug from Wollaston's today and the part number seems to have changed. I've just Googled it and some German and French forums list this part number too.

The 11 digit number is 83300413585

1200GS 2009

Found a socket next to the horn - this has a spring clip which has to be pushed in to allow the plug to engage - only problem no power there.

Looked around again and found the correct socket, no spring clip but with a black blanking plug, ty-rapped and black taped to the wiring loom immediatly behind the oil cooler.
You have to cut the ty-rap, un-peal the black tape, prise open the socket catch which holds the blank plug in - then plug the zumo lead in and ty-rap back, coiling and ty-rapping the spare cable.
With the ignition on the zumo will power up, ignition off and it runs for a few minutes before powering off.:thumb

Attachments

• DSCF1717.jpg
    DSCF1717.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 1,541
  • DSCF1715.jpg
    DSCF1715.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 1,557
Last edited:
Does anyone have a spare canbus cable part they want to sell me?

I want to fit it to a Zumo 660 as per instructions here but need the all important BMW part.

I need the blanking plug

Collecting my 08 GSA tomorrow and cant stretch to a Zumo just yet.
The previous owner had a sat-nav fitted, but now removed. Canbus plug is left dangling, without the blanking plug in it.
I am worried about water ingress and wonder if any spares are out there?

Collecting my 08 GSA tomorrow and cant stretch to a Zumo just yet.
The previous owner had a sat-nav fitted, but now removed. Canbus plug is left dangling, without the blanking plug in it.
I am worried about water ingress and wonder if any spares are out there?

(a) Sticky a bit of gaffer tape over it.

(b) Or snip the corner off a plastic bag and gaffer tape that on.

No solder option - and easier to remove

Assuming i can get hold of the part needed, i dont have any of the other bits needed to do the job, like a soldering iron or heat gun, nor do i really know what the hell to do with them even if i did have them.

If you are scared of soldering try using one of the connecters in the picture (ebay - 2-way AMP superseal). No solder required, waterproof and cheap. You can easily change your GPS or other gadget by buying another Superseal and changing that rather than the expensive GPS one. When you attached the Superseal to the BMW lead, it gives you a Superseal just behind the instrument cluster. All you do need is a pair of electrical pliers to crimp the connectors on.

Hope that helps some of you go for it! Works a treat for me....zumo is superb. Going to experiment with a GTM 12 traffic receiver next. Found one cheap on ebay so worth a punt.

Attachments

• 192c_1.JPG
    192c_1.JPG
    13.8 KB · Views: 1,515
Interested in doing this myself, but for a Navigo sat Nav which has a mini usb plug and needs an input voltage of 5V.

Does anybody know, if the BMW plug or canbus will convert the 12-14V from battery down to 5V , so I dont fry my Sat Nav ?

By the way what's the input voltage of the Zumo ?

Cheers

Andy

If you have a BMW socket in the beak it is easy. Buy a Powerlet mini usb lead (probably the short version). That does all the converting to the right voltage for you. Worked just fine with my mini usb PDA. Just sold one in the For Sale section....too late :blast

Brilliant, clear insructions. Even a numpty like me managed it! Thanks, saved myself £40 by making my own lead (got the BMW par from Pidcock's for £7.83).

Thanks

Superb Thread - Got my Canbus Plug today at Cooper Sunderland about £7 -and thanks to brilliant Pictures and info had the Zumo wired and running in about 20 mins.... Brilliant.
DSC00259.jpg

Dave:augie

Back
Top Bottom