Cafes, coffee stops and favourite greasy spoons in the North

Cafes Bellingham

Hi all just a quick run down on the three Cafes in Bellingham

The Railway carriage cafe at the Heritage Centre, OK a novel place to eat but average food

The one in the Tourist place on the road out to old town Crossroads and Otterburn, have heard good reports but aint tried it.

The Rocky Roads Cafe in Manchester Square near the butchers and Rose and Thistle. Highly recommended Good food and prices.:thumb2

And just an addition The Otterburn Mill Cafe good food but can be a bit tourist prices depending what you buy. :)

Regards
Centurion

With a heavy heart we are sad to inform Goats on the Roof cannot re-open. The recession hit us too hard last year and we do not have the capital to re-open.

It strikes me that as it opened in July 2010 and lasted less than 18 months their business model MAY have been a wee bit flawed..... Blaming the recession is a handy way to say so.... Shame, because I liked the place, ho hum... The Wentworth in Hexham is nice and Posh now, they did away with the sticky formica tables and the coffee comes out of a proper machine now and not out of a kettle and tin of Nescafe...:D

Had a run up the A697 last week. Stopped off at The Glendale Garden Centre in Wooler, Northumberland. They have a really good tea room. You can get eat in or get carry out at very reasonable prices. Differenet coffee;s and teas, Cakes, Scones, Pi ninnies, Baguettes and good old, Bacon Butties. Loads of free parking out front. Very bike friendly.
Post code is NE71 6QE.
BTW, the A697 is a crackin' road from Morpeth to Edinburgh :)

HARTSIDE CAFE

I'm sure you are all aware of Hartside Cafe near Alston. CA9 3BW.

This is on a fantastic biking route and has always been very busy when i've been there.

Next time we stop off i must remember to take a pack up !

Quite honestly i hate to complain, but four hours of indigestion and an attack of the shits that same night cause me to do so. Similar happened to one of the other guys that ate part of an undercooked meat pie, he let someones dog have the other half and it didn't seem too keen on eating it either.

Shame they have a captive market on this route, if they had to compete with some of the other excellent cafes around, they wouldn't last two minutes.

Anyone else had a similar unfortunate experience ?

I'm sure you are all aware of Hartside Cafe near Alston. CA9 3BW.

This is on a fantastic biking route and has always been very busy when i've been there.

Next time we stop off i must remember to take a pack up !

Quite honestly i hate to complain, but four hours of indigestion and an attack of the shits that same night cause me to do so. Similar happened to one of the other guys that ate part of an undercooked meat pie, he let someones dog have the other half and it didn't seem too keen on eating it either.

Shame they have a captive market on this route, if they had to compete with some of the other excellent cafes around, they wouldn't last two minutes.

Anyone else had a similar unfortunate experience ?

What road is it on Timtim?

"the olive tree" in newcastleton is a canny stop also!

Great place to stop after or before a Kielder run. I'm surprised no one has mentioned The Manor Cafe in Bellerby near Leyburn. Dedicated biker cafe in a good location with great food. :)

Great place to stop after or before a Kielder run. I'm surprised no one has mentioned The Manor Cafe in Bellerby near Leyburn. Dedicated biker cafe in a good location with great food. :)

And lousy Coffee. Shame because everything else if fine.

Coming West on the A696 Alston to Penrith road, ignore the Hartside Cafe and drop down to the Old Bakery at Melmerby. A little bit more expensive but superb home baked/cooked fodder. :thumb and non of the 'did you see how fast I went round that corner on my gsxcbrvfr rice rocket' crap you hear at Hartside

Back
Top Bottom