Cafes, coffee stops and favourite greasy spoons in the South East

Coffee/ Eating stops in the SE

Dear all here is a couple of venues we use regularly.

Shorham Flying club at Shorham Airport I think they call it terminal 1. It is to the East of the main building, better value too.

Popham Airfileld in Hants just to the NW of the A 303/ M3 junction and N of the village of Micheldever. The owner of the airport is a Ducati fan and the cafe is regularly frequented by bikers of all kinds.

Dave W

Cafe at Goodwood aerodrome. Nice breakfast etc and you can watch the planes, helicopters and then wander over to watch a bit of racing at the circuit.

Co-ords are N50.85762 W0.75310

Another good place to aim for in the South East, the Belgian Bar on Ramgate's seafront. Right opposite the obelisk. Park your bike(s) on the pavement opposite. Gadd's Real Ale used to be brewed on the premises until recently, and they also used to bake their own baguettes and cakes. Leffe Blonde and Brune on draught and the entire range of bottled Trappiste beers. Went there on Saturday and had piping hot French Onion Soup with a baguette. Very nice subdued atmosphere, no music, no fruit machines and no chavs. Just pleasant people in conversation. Walk around the Royal harbour afterwards, or to the end of the piers.

a) Waterside cafe in Benson. In Benson Oxfordshire next to Thames. Plenty free parking.

b) Burger van on top of Portsdown overlooking Pompey.

c) National trust cafe on Dunstable downs.

Strand Cafe The Strand, Rye East Sussex

The Strand Cafe is located on the A259 on the "kettle o fish" roundabout in Rye East Sussex. There is loads of room for parking up on the quay opposite the cafe. They are all biker pro, great breakfasts lunch or tea, great price and lovely roads. I just wish there were more GSers there whenever I get over that way. Sorry I cant give a grid ref but I'm too poor to have GPS at the moment. Go give it a try, I'm sure you will be pleasantly surprised.:thumb2

Oh yeah........great roads 2.

2 around the Salisbury plain area

Ideal for those out for a day on the plain. Millard and I had brekkie at Friar Tucks in Amesbury, good cooked breakfast and reasonably priced. Then we stopped at the Bustard Inn for a break. We didn't eat on this ocassion but I have eaten there before and the food wasn't too bad.

Lock Cafe, Heybridge Basin, Essex

The Lock Café, Heybridge Basin this is just at the end of my road does excellent food has pleasant views (check the tides!)and is bike friendly. Give us a shout if you’re coming down and I’ll join you for a full English and probably join you on the ride out :thumb2
51.72930°N 0.71049°E

Attachments

• cafe.jpg
    cafe.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 1,069
Airport Cafe on the A20 between Westenhanger and Sellinge.

N51 05.47 E1 00.766

Fairly new, I think and certainly grown a little over recent months, presumably because of the building work going on opposite (rubbish recycling unit*, I think, but doesn't smell!)

Handy for Romney Marsh, which is full of decent GS roads, even though it's flat. And usually windy.

* By which I mean it'll be a unit for rcycling rubbish, rather than a recycling unit which isn't very good.

LOOMIES BIKER CAFE NEAR ALTON (A32)

Great venue,good service, but the local HAMPSHIRE CONSTABULARY (WNKRS), sit in there and occasionally pull everything that moves and now got an unmarked Fireblade with an unmarked copper sat on it, mostly. (lights in the grill allegedly):censor::censor::censor:

Rye Harbour Cafe

Nobodys mentioned the cafe at Rye Harbour (Sussex), excellent on a Sunday when the weathers fine or the Oasis cafe at Old Romney A259 (Kent).:thumb2

If you're plugging down the A21, then Bedgebury Pinetum is free for bikes, they reckon they're "environmentally friendly", and has a big gravel car-park for practicing doughnuts... ;)

Nice tea-room, with view over lake, and you can walk round the woods if you want.

Beware ankle-biters on push-bikes, though, it's considered bad form to knock them over...

in 30 years i've never been done for speeding on my bike.... and i have had a few...... Sept 26th 2009 just up the road from Loomies,,,,,, nicked on a GS for christs sake...:blast..... the sports boys must have been pissin themselves as they went past....motorcycle cop said the had been loads of complaints around the A32 A272 and they where "stepping up" thier presence.......e
Great venue,good service, but the local HAMPSHIRE CONSTABULARY (WNKRS), sit in there and occasionally pull everything that moves and now got an unmarked Fireblade with an unmarked copper sat on it, mostly. (lights in the grill allegedly):censor::censor::censor:

Newlands Corner

Nick's burger bar at Newlands Corner (A25 just East of Guildford) deserves another quick mention and gets my vote!

Kitchen and servery always clean. Food is cheap, always cooked fresh to order and piping hot. Always a few bikes up there during the week (and a lot at weekends) and a bit more civilised than Box Hill.

I've been going up there for years and never had a jippy tummy yet!

LARGE Cheeseburger with onions, chips and a large white coffee please! :fnikefork

Opening hours are (roughly) 9.00am to 5.00pm, 7 days a week, but sometimes open a bit later in the summer. Phone number is 01483 211375 if you want to check.

burger anyone?

A nice place for a burger and tea, also sells, kangaroo, buffalo, bison, kudu, and normal steaks.
Decent meals at decent prices,if you are brave try the full monty!!!!
monday to friday, 8am till 2.30-3pm.
Can do outside functions by prior arrangement.veggies catered for too.
On A225 Shoreham road, shoreham, Kent, very near Shoreham railway station.
An excellent ride out with fantastic scenery.
Tel 07771-885512 ask for Daisy.:thumb

This a picture of the "Full Monty"

Attachments

• DSC00045.jpg
    DSC00045.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 1,129
Full service cafe open early til about 3pm 7 days a week.

On A20 about 2 miles south of M20 J10.

N51.120802 E0.946110

The Blue and White ...

......... Run by Leon Camier's Mum if you didn't know ...... !! :)

Back
Top Bottom