Cafes, coffee stops and favourite greasy spoons in Scotland

The Scottish Liquor Centre, Bankfoot

Just off the A9, about eight miles north of Perth and visible form the road, this is a cracking wee stop off spot for home made soup, coffee and delicous home baking. It's a really nice place and the prices aren't the usual "tourist rip offs". The coffee is excellent and we got a free liquor to go with it which given it's normal price made the cup of coffee cost £0.20p :D

there is a wee shop in whiterashes on the road between oldmeldrum and Newmacher that does a fantastic steak sandwich and will sell you some steak to take home.:thumb

Oh and the chippie in Newdeer is fantastic.
try the chicken fillets.:thumb
and if you get to Turriff you have to try Arlandi,s ice cream.

Last edited:
Woodys truckstop A9 Inverness

Woodys truckstop at Inverness.

Just off the A9 roundabout before Kessock Bridge (heading North).

Take the road into Inv town centre and double back on yourself at the first roundabout. Turn left at the Tiso warehouse/shop onto henderson Rd. Then 200m on right hand side.

http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF-...&fb=1&cid=9152639606008688286&li=lmd&z=14&t=m

http://www.discover360.co.uk/portfolio_woody2.html

Woodys is a proper transport caff/truckstop. The big brekkies are feckin' BIG.

Bogs and showers there as well. Very well known in the Far North.

Taking the GS800 to Inv for it's first service tomorrow...guess where I'm going fer brekky?

The Allium garden centre, next to the A9 at Balinuig. No website and it's next to the taxidermists.

Excellent food, the best I've eaten at a roadside cafe.

Coach House Coffee Shop, Luss

Coach House Coffee Shop, Luss

Crackin wee place with a roaring fire + Great soup with a huge wedge of homemade bread.
The Scones with Butter, Clotted cream and home made Jam are Braw + the "Lomond Latte" is Quality...

Ali

The Horn Milk Bar, on the A92 at Inchmichael, about 10 miles before you get to Perth on the A92. coming from Dundee.

Good breakfast. Real blast from the past. Usually stop off there when heading sooth. :thumb2

The Horn Milk Bar, on the A92 at Inchmichael, about 10 miles before you get to Perth on the A92. coming from Dundee.

Good breakfast. Real blast from the past. Usually stop off there when heading sooth. :thumb2

Is that no' at Inchture?

Well I actually thought it was at Errol.

I think the address is Errol, but Errol is actually back off the road a ways, isn't it? In the end I Google-mapped it:

432607310_PEUne-L.jpg

which confused the issue even more. I don't believe it's at point A on the map because it's too far back from the main road :confused:

Settled in the end for point B, hence Inchmichael. You can't miss the place anyway; how many buildings can you think of with a coo on the roof? :nenau

there is a wee shop in whiterashes on the road between oldmeldrum and Newmacher that does a fantastic steak sandwich and will sell you some steak to take home.:thumb

+1 - pass it everyday and its truly mega!!

Orlandies ice cream is ok, keep going till cullen on the moray coast and thats where you'll find the 2nd best ice cream of all time imo. 3rd best ice cream is peters at cairnbulg and 1st by a country mile is Foosies at the roundabout in Thornhill, Dumfriesshire - awesome, been having some for 28 years every summer!:D

Well I actually thought it was at Errol. Anyway its right next to Perthshire Caravans and as the an says is a great rest stop:thumb

AndyT:cool:

Errol it is. I was thinkin about the one that's at Inchture at the junction with the Abernyte road. (well it was there in the 70's :augie)

Errol it is. I was thinkin about the one that's at Inchture at the junction with the Abernyte road. (well it was there in the 70's :augie)

That ain's still there Ronno.

A real throw back tae the 60's (you'd be at hame there then). American diner style wi loadso pics o big rigs on the wa's. The Horse Shoe Cafe & Restaurant it's ca'ed, used tae be JG's.

No bad grub too.

heres a few more............

'Pillars Of Hercules' farm shop and cafe, just outside Falkland,Fife
'Tapa' bakehouse and coffeeshop, Dennistoun in Glasgow
'Ralia' cafe on A9, near Newtonmore
'Mountain' coffeeshop /cafe in Gairloch

Motorgrill at Ballinluig for superb cooked breakfast, one of the best in Scotland?

'An Lochan' at the Tormauchin in Glendevon.

Station Buffet Bar, Elie

I looked into the Station Buffet Bar in Elie, Fife (lovely wee coastal village with a cracking sandy beach) and had a coffee in the pub which is on the main street. Turns out that it was voted the Sunday Mail Pub Of The Year 2008. The barman and several regulars were ultra friendly, which make a pleasant change when you step into a strange boozer. It was just after 11 a.m. when I went in but it started to fill up. It turns out that the barman was Edith Bowman's (Radio One DJ) faither. There were two or three music memorabilia items on the walls among lots of railway, sporting and seafairing stuff. Edith Bowman and her brother own the pub but there's nothing "showbizzie" about it.

A really nice pub with a very heathy selection of whiskies.

Oh, I had the car in case yer wondering why I was drinking coffee. :thumb

Castle Stalker tearoom, N56 34.540 W5 22.727. On the A828 between Ballachulish and Connel. Overlooks the castle itself and there is a bike specific car park.

Was in there yesterday! good grub and for a touristy place prices were brill.

Green welly now has a pizza stop, sit down or take out. Not cheap but very good.

Applecross Inn is always good and depending on the ride over a welcome place to go drip dry or warm up!

There was a greasy spoon on the campsite at Thurso that used to do a massive breakfast, Billys bumper breakfast (he gave us our money back once for eating 2 each) I didn't eat till next morning, them wer the days. When men wer men and even the women wer men!:troll2

Back
Top Bottom