Trail Riders Fellowship 2009

I presume in order to stop them being overused and then stopped.

Or to stop some newbie turning up freshly armed with a GPS Tracklogger, recording the route and then advertise on sites like UKGSER to lead guided runs around £20 to £40 per person.
It takes a long time in County Council offices researching these old roads and I do get reluctant to 'give it away'.
Once a rider has attended a few of the runs lead by myself, for example, and I see that they are capable of following the code adopted by the likes of the TRF, GLASS or CRAG-UK, then my guard relaxes and information is passed on.
Another quick way of getting into the swing of things, is to offer your services at a Horse Trial/Endurance event, or a lane clearing day. You know, put a little more in, not just £40.

Timpo.

ps. I have not been a member of the TRF whilst using the UKGSER site. But, I (and Sarah Teach) have rejoined for the 2008. Nevertheless, I have been leading one or two trail rides advertised on this site, none of which attendees were charged or asked to make any monitary donation, yep that's right, all totally free of charge.:thumb
T.

...ps. I have not been a member of the TRF whilst using the UKGSER site. But, I (and Sarah Teach) have rejoined for the 2008. Nevertheless, I have been leading one or two trail rides advertised on this site, none of which attendees were charged or asked to make any monitary donation, yep that's right, all totally free of charge.:thumb
T.

I can vouch for that having spent a weekend with Forry at Timpo and Sarah Teach's abode. (Sarah Teach is a superb hostess too and an amazing cook by the way:clap:clap).

I used to be in the NW TRF when I lived in Stockport and the guys are a bit reserved at first because as Timpo says it takes alot of effort going to the local offices and studying the definitive map to assertain your legal right of way. Loads of people would come along for a week expecting to get an atlas of routes and bugger off..... No pain no gain... as always:thumb

Andy
There are a couple of threads in the Scottish section on the corrieairyack - its pretty rocky and steep in places so probably a bit much on a big GS. The track is also impassable on the Fort august side for the last 1/4 mile so you have to start at the Laggan end and do a there and back again.

Andy
There are a couple of threads in the Scottish section on the corrieairyack - its pretty rocky and steep in places so probably a bit much on a big GS. The track is also impassable on the Fort august side for the last 1/4 mile so you have to start at the Laggan end and do a there and back again.

Phil - is it impassable due to blockages or has it fallen away, to rocky etc!!!

AndyT:cool:

Look at the map below the pass is the red dotted line. The last section (about the last 500m just below the black dot) is basically an 8 foot deep by 10 feet wide gully full of huge rocks - me and my mates mountainbiked the pass a few years ago and we had to carry right through this section - its probably alot worse now. If your name was Dougie and you were on a montesa you might do it but for a normal trail bike it would be nigh on impossible. There is an alternative at the top of the washout (by Culachy ho) but the landowner is apparently wise to folk trying to bypass the washout and the gate is either locked or he will stop you himself.

There and back from the Laggan side seems to be the best bet plus you get to do both sides as a climb and descent!

I think the access issues are still very gray but I've met several people who have done it and never had any hassle - infact Landrover owner magazine did a feature on driving it so it must be ok....

Attachments

• Corrie.JPG
    Corrie.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 759
choice of bikes

I couldn't agree more Clive. I enjoyed another 60mile cracking ride around Boxhill, Newlands Corner, West Horsley, Shere, Framley Green on Saturday morning fuelled by tea and bacon sandwiches. A top bunch of like minded blokes. We were so wet and muddy we laughed like school boys at the tsunamis rising as we crashed through puddles. As much fun as you can have with your clothes on.

Jeremy
Surrey TRF Member

Hi - was thinking of joining TRF, but couldnt find access to their forum. I was wondering how "sloshy" their routes were! Would the road tyres on my beta alp be insufficient, and/or if I px the Beta for a 650GS, would this be too heavy?

Hi - was thinking of joining TRF, but couldnt find access to their forum.
I don't think there is a central TRF forum. The local groups tend to do their own thing, e.g. my local group uses Yahoo groups. You need to be a TRF member to apply to join the group.

I've found loads of unsurfaced roads in Scotland with loads of traffic on them this weekend alone....

...granted they are all in Glasgow City!!!:eek:

What's going on with the roads in Glasgow, is the council spending all the cash on Buckfast or something?:eek

(no offence meant to Glasgow Council, I'm sure you're trying your best):thumb

I just recently signed up with my local TRF group in sunny Hertfordshire.
Had a trial day out with them in December to see if it was what I was looking for before spending me hard earned £41.(got an extra sticker :D)

Great day out :thumb

TRF

I've also recently joined my local TRF (N Wales) and my experience has been a positive one. Whilst I know many of the trails in my immediate locality, joining in the group rides has helped me find new routes and challenges.

I like the fact that the rides are controlled (max number of riders, legal routes, consideration to other users and residents etc), and the feedback from the public that we have met has been polite and positive. I've met some great people on these rides.

I also like the fact that there are some individuals within the group who will go out of their way to help newcomers, lead rides for those 'not from around here', organise ride weekends etc on this and other forums which also helps put some sought after money into the local economy. From what I can figure, none of this has been done for any personal financial gain. When my skills are up, I'll happily help out and assist in running/leading on these events.

Re organised rides, the local group are very active, with a good number of rides planned each month. I went on 3 last month, and am scheduled for 2 this month. In addition to this, there are always the informal rides that are planned at short notice, maybe going with people of similar ability etc. After all, you quickly form friendships in this game and you can;t really expect all 40-50 people to go out together!

So, from my point of view; it's good, and the future is not orange!:D

I've also recently joined my local TRF (N Wales) and my experience has been a positive one. Whilst I know many of the trails in my immediate locality, joining in the group rides has helped me find new routes and challenges.

I like the fact that the rides are controlled (max number of riders, legal routes, consideration to other users and residents etc), and the feedback from the public that we have met has been polite and positive. I've met some great people on these rides.

I also like the fact that there are some individuals within the group who will go out of their way to help newcomers, lead rides for those 'not from around here', organise ride weekends etc on this and other forums which also helps put some sought after money into the local economy. From what I can figure, none of this has been done for any personal financial gain. When my skills are up, I'll happily help out and assist in running/leading on these events.

Re organised rides, the local group are very active, with a good number of rides planned each month. I went on 3 last month, and am scheduled for 2 this month. In addition to this, there are always the informal rides that are planned at short notice, maybe going with people of similar ability etc. After all, you quickly form friendships in this game and you can;t really expect all 40-50 people to go out together!

So, from my point of view; it's good, and the future is not orange!:D

How do they view the G650 Xchallenge on rideouts?

The chaps in the Peaks just laugh at me on the 950SE, but there has been only one trail I couldn't get it up and most of them were struggling to...

It's called 'care in the community'.....:augie
Did they miss Chapelgate, Hollinsclough and Three Shires Head out?:p

T.

How do they view the G650 Xchallenge on rideouts?

Usually from the front!:comfort

Well, it would appear that size is important:blast, which is contrary to the message that I have been promulgating for a number of years:D

The initial reaction would appear to fall somewhere between WTF and a healthy degree of scepticism. Whether that's because I'm a relative newbie (or rusty oldie) on trails, the bike, or a combination thereof I'm not sure.

That said, for many of those that I've ridden with, it's generated a fair amount of interest and discussion, probably as they don't seem that common and are definately not the steed of choice for the trails round here. The feedback re the bike has been good, and has pleasantly surprised a few with what it will do. People's experence may be of the Transalps and Dominators of old, and this is a totally different beast

My view is the bike is great, and it's capabilities are far beyond my current ability (though I hasten to add that I am working on that). Mechanically it's very strong, and does not suffer in deep water, being dropped etc.

On the horizon I have a DRZ E lined up to get on the road, which will be a little lighter though still relatively heavy in trail terms. It'll be interesting to see what difference that brings.

Usually from the front!:comfort

Well, it would appear that size is important:blast, which is contrary to the message that I have been promulgating for a number of years:D

The initial reaction would appear to fall somewhere between WTF and a healthy degree of scepticism. Whether that's because I'm a relative newbie (or rusty oldie) on trails, the bike, or a combination thereof I'm not sure.

That said, for many of those that I've ridden with, it's generated a fair amount of interest and discussion, probably as they don't seem that common and are definately not the steed of choice for the trails round here. The feedback re the bike has been good, and has pleasantly surprised a few with what it will do. People's experence may be of the Transalps and Dominators of old, and this is a totally different beast

My view is the bike is great, and it's capabilities are far beyond my current ability (though I hasten to add that I am working on that). Mechanically it's very strong, and does not suffer in deep water, being dropped etc.

On the horizon I have a DRZ E lined up to get on the road, which will be a little lighter though still relatively heavy in trail terms. It'll be interesting to see what difference that brings.

Good thoughts....................I went to a TRF meeting to see some mates earlier in the year, that I used to ride with 15 years ago and when I told them what bike I had.....they pissed themselves and fell about laughing:blast

virtual peaks site

Anyone know whether this is still up? Been struggling to get on it since the weekend, my browser just times out.
Gareth

Anyone know whether this is still up? Been struggling to get on it since the weekend, my browser just times out.
Gareth

The site is still live just not very active

Back
Top Bottom